First real test of new 6PL

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

I normally carry a G2, but recently started using a SL TT 2L as I was convinced I'd need the battery life of the LED mode for work. I work on Security Systems (often in the dark) and the lower light of the SL's LEDs seemed to be suitable for working close-up on the electronics.

Anyway, that all went out the window when I decided to get a 6PL last week. Yeah, I did all the usual nonsense you do when you get a new SF - walking around the house in the dark for no apparent reason - finding reasons to look under the car etc- and lighting up situations with anything less than ambient natural light.

I was called out to an emergency about two hours ago (it's 0230) to disable an errant alarm system. It's the middle of the night, and I have to get out of bed - but at least I get to use my 6PL.

Well, the external siren was about 25ft up on the front elevation of the house, and it was almost pitch black. The 6PL gave a nice bright white light to illuminate the siren, which was a lot stronger and less ghostly than the SL's LED mode. The 6PL also feels like a solid lump of metal, and I wasn't too concerned for it's well being should I drop it off the top of the ladder.

When I got to the top, I was concerned that the spot would obliterate the detail of what I was looking at, as my face would only be a couple of inches from the PCB once I removed the lid - I would have tried just using the spill to light it up, but in real application, the spot seemed to be fine. I got everything I needed to do done. So, as they say in the title music to The Unit, it "Feels good, fired up."

I would have taken some pictures, but the lady of the house might not have been too impressed. She already had a bunch of noise complaints from her neighbours and had to call an engineer at emergency rates - I think having some idiot turn up to take pictures would have been the last straw.

If anyone out there is asking - "If you used to carry an SL TT 2L, why did you replace it with a 6PL and not an A2?" the answer is - I don't really know. Maybe I just wanted something with single mode operation, and maybe I wanted to guarantee that I'd have enough light off the LEDs to work in. In either event, the 6PL's all good.

And props to anyone that recommended OpticsHQ - I used them for the first time to get it, and they were great.

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
:welcome: that light will serve you well for many years to come, now hold on to you wallet the surefire bug bites hard.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
And dang it Scott, I'm trying to keep up with ya! See where this is going. Already addicted, and also incompetition with a friend to see who can collect the most Surefires. :devil:

BTW Gary...Welcome to CPF

:welcome: Seven months ago I didn't own a Surefire. Now I have nine. See where I'm going with this? :)