2 or 3 cell ?

recercare

Enlightened
Hello

I am about to buy a 2nd EDC light. I am very happy with my SF 6P + DX LED dropin.....but the problem is: my wife likes it too :)

First I considered getting another 6p (gun metal grey this time), but now I am tempted to buy a SF 3-cell + LED dropin instead. Will SF C3, 9P or M3 be too big for EDC or is the increased run time worth it?

kind regards
.lars

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Well I have a 6P and a 9P but I dont EDC them. I usually carry an HDS EDC because of its size and flexibility. When I first found this place I read a lot of threads and several said that the 6P and 9P are just a little too big to comfortably EDC. I didn't believe it at the time but I do now. I "could" EDC a 6P but I wouldn't want to. I use my 6P/9P around the house where size isn't a factor. About the largest size light I would want to EDC is a Surefire E2E.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would actually be inclined to go the other direction and get a one cell light.The Fenix P2D impressed me so much that I bought a second one.Lumapower also has some nice one cell lights, noteably the D-mini which offers better throw than many 2-cell lights.If you want to stick with Surefire there are a couple of one cell lights available also.There may be increased brightness with 3 cells but I don't think you will gain much with LEDs(Incan lights are another mattter).As far as runtime goes,if you get a light with multiple power levels you can get quite a bit of runtime from a single battery.The big advantage of one cell lights is that they are considerably smaller and easier to EDC.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
I would actually be inclined to go the other direction and get a one cell light.The Fenix P2D impressed me so much that I bought a second one.L

+1
I used to pocket a 3 cell Pelican M3 3370 (same size as 9p) at work, but now can't imagine going back. I'm blown away by how bright and usable the little EDCs like the P2D and Olight T10 are. The P2D rebel 100 has a very nice color temp and the new q5 cree models are insanely bright.

Also check out the Jetbeam "Jet I MKII X" or "jet I MKII R" which are designed for 14500 3.7v li-ions but can use a regular old aa alkaline in a pinch (not as bright though).

Also the Novatac lights are supposed to be uber high quality.

ANother option is to get like 5 lights of the same size but lower quality for the same price or less from deal extreme and not worry about it if you lose one.

hope that helps
-Pete

oh yeah, and to directly answer your question - in my opinion no. the 9p sized lights just don't fit well in the pocket and when in a holster you feel them when you sit down on anything other than a stool

Last edited: