Wow, a mod that I didn't screw up. SSCP4 in Rayovac Sportsman Extreme...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up on of those 2AA Rayovac Sportsman extremes a while back but didn't like the tint and output. Had 1W Luxeon in there. Well last night I finally got up the nerve to rip it apart and swap the emitter for a USWOH SSC-P4 I had laying around. SUCCESS! (for a change!) Much whiter and much brighter, probably about 65-70 lumens, almost as bright as my G2L. Going to be my primary "beater". Anyway, just thought I'd share....

JamisonM

Enlightened
I've thought about doing this. I already think its a decent little light, but if the luxeon I was replaced with a soul; that would really make a nice light and especially since it actually has a small heatsink. Can you go into detail on how you did this mod? I ask because when I unscrewed the LED/driver and took the little plastic pieces off the unit; I was dumbfounded as to how I was going to get the driver out.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't bother taking the driver out. I just swapped the emitter by prying the old one off, ( the contact post will break ), trimming the leads a bit, then epoxing the SSCP4 in place then soldering the leads. That part is tricky. I basically had to create a solder "bridge" between the emitter leads and the "posts" that go down to the driver board. And remember the SSCP4 has to go the opposite way.

crackerkorean

Newly Enlightened
I thought about doing this with my 3watt and 1watt light. Is there enought heat dissapation to do the swap in the 3watt light?

Any beamshots?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see why you couldn't do it to the 3W as well, but I don't hold me to it.

Opposite way - The notched side facing opposite where the luxeon was facing.