AmiLite could use an update'

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Some say 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', well maybe the T series could use an update.
AmiLite T5 is in the top three lights I own, great quality and simple.
But not without room for improvement.

Better (flat) regulation and to be able to use 3.6V RCR123s for starters,
maybe a 18650 light ect.
and when will the elusive V-bins be out....

What would you like to see Kevin and AmiLite change in a new T series??

Last edited:

winston

Enlightened
+

Some say 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', well maybe the T series could use an update.

maybe a 18650 light ect.
and when will the elusive V-bins be out....

What would you like to see Kevin and AmiLite change in a new T series??

I was thinking about how an A2-style switch would be kind of cool, but I don't really have a problem with the current switch. I'd certainly like to be able to use RCR123 cells. Most people probably use primaries in their T5s right now, so an 18650 might be welcome; but if you use LiFePo cells right now, RCR123s would already almost double runtime. The main advantage to 18650 bodies (besides capacity over RCR123) seems to be that it will also accept two CR123s. Would any driver able to handle a much wider voltage range be as efficient? Would there be a disadvantage to making an 18500 body (aside from incompatibility with primaries)?
-Winston

nuggett

Enlightened
A 17670 body would be ideal.Really cant think of any way to improve this terrific little light

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe a 18650 light ect.

Will the T5 not take RCRs because the voltage is too high for the circuit, because it will get too hot, or because it won't fit. When I first saw the T5 a few months ago I was really impressed. I love the beam & tint, the size and the build quality.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the T5 not take RCRs because the voltage is too high for the circuit, because it will get too hot, or because it won't fit. When I first saw the T5 a few months ago I was really impressed. I love the beam & tint, the size and the build quality.

+

The T series are super quality, and are optimized for 3.0V.
I went with the 30/140+ lm T5.
Heat dissipation is very good with lots of copper used.

Any 3.0V work great in the AmiLites,
I'm using RCR123 3.0V and there are no color issues of any kind.
Really one of my favorite lights, one of the cleanest beams you can get!..:thumbsup:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run AW RCR123s in my T5 with no problems.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. Does it get much warmer than with 3.0v cells, and is it noticeably brighter? I guess the runtime would be about the same, yes?

I've run 3.6v RCRs in a Dorcy Super 1 watt - noticeably brighter but gets too hot, in a Pelican M1 - just a bit brighter and a bit warmer, same runtime as 3.0v RCRs, and a Peak McKinley -a bit brighter and warmer, same runtime.