help me to find a headlamp for night running...

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
hi I'm a french member of light's forum

i'm looking for a headlamp for night running and trail/raid in forest.

i've find 3-4 models, i would like to know what you think about them

- black diamond ICON
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/black-diamond/icon/
- black diamond ZENIX IQ
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/black-diamond/zenix-iq/
- PETZL MYO XP (not belt model)
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/petzl/myo-xp/
- PETZL MYOLITE 3
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/petzl/myolite-3/

what i want : light weight / bright /waterproof

i find posts about ICON but i didn't understand review made by beautiffuly-stupid...

thanks to help me

GaryF

Enlightened
I have the Zenix-IQ. I found the beam to be too narrow, but that was "fixed" when I upgraded the LED to a Seoul, which was a simple matter of soldering in a new star. This upgrade made it MUCH brighter, and also widened the beam nicely.

It has 3 brightness levels on the main led and also 3 brightness levels for the 2 5mm leds. Runtime on the brightest setting is about 3 hours, and higher on the dimmer settings. With the Seoul LED, it's the brightest headlamp I have seen.

Weight is 3.8oz, or 108 grams, without batteries. As it uses just 2 aa batteries, it probably has the lightest "with battery" weight of the 4 lights you mention.

This light sheds water well, but it does not have seals on the head unit, so it is not truly "waterproof".

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
thanks for your answer

is it easy to change the LED for A SEOUL ??

i moded a mag 2 D with 18650 battery + 3W Diamond LED but it was easy to change, for the SEOUL you need to weld (souder in french) or just clip it ??

what about runtime with the SEOUL ?

PS : you're so lucky in USA : headlamp black diamond ICON is 20-30€ (+/-40$) less expensive on US ebay compare to french ebay

GaryF

Enlightened
is it easy to change the LED for A SEOUL ??

I'm not very good at soldering (welding), but even for me this was easy. The key was that the led is mounted on a star (circuit board), which gives bigger solder contacts and separates the LED from the heat of the soldering operation.

what about runtime with the SEOUL ?

It's about the same as the luxeon, but much brighter. Around 3 hours on high, longer on the low levels.

you're so lucky in USA : headlamp black diamond ICON is 20-30€ (+/-40$) less expensive on US ebay compare to french ebay

Yes, I just purchased an extra Black Diamond Zenix-IQ for $32.75 US, shipping included. The USA is a very good place to be a "flashaholic" . :D

redglare

Newly Enlightened
I think if I were running at night on the road I would take my Zebralight H50. I haven't run with mine yet, but I think it's great for walking at night.

2 hours + on high from a single AA.

The broad flood beam pattern would be a lot less disorienting for me than any flashlight or headlamp with a narrow spot beam. I will say that I was a distance runner for a number of years and my stride was never very smooth. A flood beam like with the Zebralight would not appear to bounce around wildly like a that of a flashlight with a bright spot because so much of the edge of the Zebralight's beam is spread out so widely. It wouldn't be like you were looking down a narrow, bouncing tunnel of bright light. It is more like having a tiny lantern to light the way.

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
thanks Gary for answer : i think i won't take risk to burn th lamp by soldering...

@reglare

i dont want just a lamp for running, i practice also "course d'orientation" (don't know the english for this sport...) you runn in forest/country in order to find "tags" (balises).

so i look for a just middle with lightweigt and bright... i think i will get a ICON not expensive on US ebay and i'll maybe mod it later

mike2g

Newly Enlightened
"course d'orientation" = Orienteering

thanks Gary for answer : i think i won't take risk to burn th lamp by soldering...

@reglare

i dont want just a lamp for running, i practice also "course d'orientation" (don't know the english for this sport...) you runn in forest/country in order to find "tags" (balises).

so i look for a just middle with lightweigt and bright... i think i will get a ICON not expensive on US ebay and i'll maybe mod it later

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
what about the princeton TEC EOS ???

5 stars on flashlight reviews, light weight, similar to a petzl myoXP or tikka XP but probably brighter... ?

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
I vote for the Rayovac 1 watt sportsmans extreme sold for $19 at Walmart.

Floody with diffuser or spot as you choose, 2 hours run time, reasonably bright and easily available. What could be simpler???

GaryF

Enlightened
I vote for the Rayovac 1 watt sportsmans extreme sold for $19 at Walmart.

Floody with diffuser or spot as you choose, 2 hours run time, reasonably bright and easily available. What could be simpler???

I would readily second that suggestion, but I fear it may be difficult to find in France.

acourvil

Enlightened
I run trails in the dark a couple times a week in the winter. I have a Black Diamond [Xenix IQ] modded with a recent Seoul emitter, and it works great. On regular duracell alkalines, I get 2-3 hours before it drops out of regulation, and it's still bright enough to run for at least another hours. Lately, i have been using a single protected rechargeable Li ion battery and a dummy. That gives me maybe 90 minutes of run time between charges. The downside is that it never drops out of regulation before the protection kicks in becasue the voltage is still above the cut-off.

I run in all weather with it; I can't say it is absolutely waterproof, but I've never had a problem.

I prefer to have the battery pack in the back for running, because it is more balanced and more comfortable than a light with all the weight in the front.

It's also good to have something like an LOD CE or and Arc AAA as a backup. Of course, running with friends is also a good back-up.

I think it would also be good for adventure races or orienteering.

Last edited:

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
about Rayovac 1watt : 2hrs of runtime is not enough

what about this one
www.rayovac.com/flashlight/lux3aahdlt-b.shtml
http://cgi.ebay.com/RAYOVAC-Headlamp-FlashLight-Torch-Light-K2-LUXEON-LED_W0QQitemZ160176067534QQihZ006QQcategoryZ106984QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

working with K2 , 20hrs of runtime, 6 modes, water resistant (waterproof or just splashable ??)

weight ?????

Rayovac is a good brand ? better than black diamond ?

i don't know which i could take ICON from black diamond or RAYOVAC k2...

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ll give You another one to choose from ;)

a Streamlight Argo HP
just two levels, small and light and, primary point, can be run with a single 17650 Li-Ion cell.

I ve modded it with a Seoul (look for "emitter wap", ist a joke, nothing difficult at all), and use it as headlamp together with a single cree on the bars for night mountainbiking.

(There are a few treads on the SL Argo HP modding topic in here, in fact mine runs on an 18650 now)

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
I ll give You another one to choose from ;)

a Streamlight Argo HP
just two levels, small and light and, primary point, can be run with a single 17650 Li-Ion cell.

I ve modded it with a Seoul (look for "emitter wap", ist a joke, nothing difficult at all), and use it as headlamp together with a single cree on the bars for night mountainbiking.

(There are a few treads on the SL Argo HP modding topic in here, in fact mine runs on an 18650 now)
could be a great thing if it run with a 18650 :twothumbs i have allready charger + 2*18650 from my mag 2D mod...

i going to watch their web site....>

PS: thanks to give me an other choice it was not enought difficult to choose :thinking:

:)

framboisier

Newly Enlightened
still don't know wich one to buy....

- i wonder if the princeton apex pro runn with Cr123 li-ion battery in order to recharche them
- black diamond ICON seems to not be regulated despite the description from the website
- princeton APEX (not the PRO) is to heavy

What about the rayovac running with K2 ???

I will probably finish to buy a zenix IQ, wich seems to be regulated (3.5 stars from flashlightreviews)

thanks to advice me ;-) I'm lost....

chris_m

Enlightened
I do a lot of night orienteering - though I'm afraid I'm using a custom made quad Cree torch with remote battery pack. I do also have a Princeton Tec Eos which I've upgraded with a Seoul P4 LED, which I am contemplating taking out on one of my less important events - that would be plenty enough light, though obviously not as good as my big homemade light. Is fine for running with, and I think the runtime should be about 3 hours
if that's enough (not sure why you need more than 2 - the longest I'm out for is 1.5 hours, unless you're talking about adventure racing (Raid des Nature) which I do also - in which case just use a lower setting for longer run time).

acourvil

Enlightened
still don't know wich one to buy....

- black diamond ICON seems to not be regulated despite the description from the website

The older version is not regulated; the new version is (I have one of each).
Edit: I actually have the Xenix/Xenix IQ, not the Icon. The newer version is regulated, bit I'm not sure about the Icon. Sorry for any confusion I created.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I think if I were running at night on the road I would take my Zebralight H50. I haven't run with mine yet, but I think it's great for walking at night.

2 hours + on high from a single AA.

The broad flood beam pattern would be a lot less disorienting for me than any flashlight or headlamp with a narrow spot beam. I will say that I was a distance runner for a number of years and my stride was never very smooth. A flood beam like with the Zebralight would not appear to bounce around wildly like a that of a flashlight with a bright spot because so much of the edge of the Zebralight's beam is spread out so widely. It wouldn't be like you were looking down a narrow, bouncing tunnel of bright light. It is more like having a tiny lantern to light the way.

Sorry, I have the ZL H50 - not good at all for a running headlamp. The Rayovac Sportsman Extreme is far better for that purpose and only costs $19. The ZL is over $40.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Hello Framboisier! I was thinking about a light that is made close to you. Peztl Myo Xp. I have one and I enjoy it very much. You can go from spot to flood with a flick of the built in diffuser. It is not regulated, but if you fill it with NiMH batteries it will have a much more flat discharge rate. Runtime will last you a whole night, easy.

It does have a kind of flimsy piece of rubber that goes over the batteries. It isn't sealed too tight so I wouldn't call it waterproof. I have used it while it was raining on fishing trips with no problem. If you aren't swimming with it on I think you would be OK.