Redo-ing my Gamma I - Question about LED

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modders,

I've got the Gamma I that I would like to re-do and have a question.

For those who don't know, the Gamma I is a really crazy two-celled German light that nobody knows much about. Right now, it looks to be sporting a Luxeon I star of unknown binning, but it's calling for a better LED. I guess I'm just spoiled with all of the cool LEDs out nowadays.

What's the best all-out replacement for the Luxeon I star? I don't want to modify the head of the light for a new reflector or anything. I'm guessing a Seoul P4? If so, where's the best place to get one (and by best I don't mean cheapest, I mean best)

Smarten me, folks!

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
Photonfanatic is among the best, if not the best source for SSC P4s. Right now, he's got the VO and WO tint stars. VO is warmer, WO is "purer".

I couldn't find anything on the light, so have no idea how it's controlling the current to the LED. You might want to check the current draw, as the Seouls don't like to be overdriven that hard. 750 mA is good, with good heatsinking.

Still, if you can open the head to remove the old Luxeon, the replacement should be close to a drop-in (with soldering).

Of course, there's a chance SSC will release a V-bin sometime soon, now that Cree dropped the R2 XR-Es, and the SSC P4 uses the same chip. That's the thing with modding; there's always something brighter just down the road.

Best,
Jon

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's where I got my Seoul emitter for my KL1 mod. The star should be a straight replacement, right??

As far as driving, it's resistored on two CR123 batteries. Nobody has much information on this light, except for the very brief words I got from Bernie being that it's "a high-end German light". The resistor is blue in color with bands yellow, orange, black, gold and brown - 43 ohms, +\- 5%?? What's the extra brown for??

I want to mod it because, quite simply, it's the shortest 2 cell light I've ever come in contact with..