Newbie with some 6p drop in questions

DirtyBird

Newly Enlightened
Friends,

I have some questions for you about led drop ins for surefire 6p size lights.

I read the sticky about 6p drop ins, and I guess I'm having a hard time believing that I can get such amazing increases in run time and lumens, for such low prices. Reading some of the numbers triggered my sense that it's too good to be true. So I'm hoping some of y'all can answer the following questions:

1 Is it too good to be true? Can I really get more lumens and more run time for cheap with an led drop in? Is there some downside that I'm missing?

2 Why are these drop ins so cheap, while surefire's stuff is so expensive? A surefire g2 led is about $65, for 80 lumens, while some aftermarket stuff gives you 200+ lumens for $20.

3 Can y'all suggest good drop ins for the following?:
surefire C2
surefire 6p (old roundbody, bought in mid-90's)
surefire 618FA forearm light for the Remington 870

I love the idea of getting a lot more lumens than what my p61 bulb can throw, but I'm nervous that I'm missing some big downside to these drop ins.

Thank you for any wisdom you can spare. I'm pretty much at sea when it comes to led drop ins, so I'd appreciate any guidance you can spare.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well basically "It's True". :party:

Best advice is to see if someone else has used the same drop-in already in the light you're going to use it in. The SF-P6 is sort of the benchmark so most will work in that. There can be slight differences and that is why some of the plug-ins have the extra spring, and some people need it and others don't. Some fit different so the head may not screw all the way on and things like that. If you're putting the higher-output ones in to a non-metalic light you may have heat dissapation issues.

Some of the cheaper drop-ins come direct from China though discount wholesalers. So just check them out carefully. Many people have been quite happy with $20 drop-ins.

I'll be dropping one into a P6 soon, but I'm not in a hurry as I have other lights, and if get around to taking any beam shots I'd like to use the P6 standard as one of the comparison beams.

Sorry no personal recommendations yet. Good luck, you'll be happy you discovered the drop-ins.

Last edited:

Scourie

Enlightened
The downside is that colour rendering with a LED is not supposed to be as good as with an incan. Surefire's would also seem to be conversative with their light outputs. For the 870 I'd go with a single output LED, the last thing you'd want would be to turn on in the wrong mode. Thats what I have in my Laser Products fore-end.

Rob:whistle:

recercare

Enlightened
I got this for my 6P after running thru reviews, no issue,happy with the quality :)

Dealextreme SKU 6090

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090

:naughty:

I have this dropin too and so far I'm happy with it. Do you know the lumen output? It's brighter than the p61 so I guess about 150-170 lumen?

Still haven't made up my mind about BugOutGears Q5. It should be brighter but the question is whether it will be THAT much of a difference.

Kind regards
.lars

DirtyBird

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all very much for your replies. I'm pretty stoked to get all my gear switched over to LED drop ins. I've figured they were the way of the future awhile ago, but I just can't get over the incredible run time and the amazing number of lumens you get. It's like the best of both worlds.

I think for now I'm going to spring for three of the 3W Crees - at that price I can afford to take a chance. Then someday later on I'll spring for something fancier for my SureFire C2 - maybe that Bugout Gear Q5.

Pretty damn amazing. Thanks again for all the information!

DirtyBird

Newly Enlightened
So, I wound up ordering a couple of the DX drop ins referenced above. Then, while I was waiting for them to arrive, I got an email from Gene Malkoff, advising his new batch of M60 drop ins were ready. Couldn't resist, and jumped for one of those as well. What a guy that Gene Malkoff is - seemed like my package arrived about 10 minutes after I ordered it.

Gotta say, I'm really impressed - especially with the M60, but also with the DX drop ins. Both are so much damn brighter than my P60 incan bulbs that I almost can't believe it.

The Malkoff looks to have a little better throw, and I like the color better, but the performance isn't like 1,000 times better than the DX units. What really separates the M60 is its quality and craftmanship. It's built like a small, round brass tank. Spent a lot of time admiring it before I put it to use.

Wound up putting the M2 in my SureFire C2 light. That's my EDC light that stays with me and my 1911. Put one of the DX units in my very old school 6P that I keep in my car. I'm going to pass the other DX on to a buddy who has a SureFire G2. I feel like becoming an evangelist for the LED drop in. I mean damn, what an amazing deal that is.

One question - anybody have any experience on the shock resistance of the Malkoff and DX drop ins? I've got a Rem 870 with a SureFire forearm light. I'd really like to swap in a drop in, but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up to recoil. Any idea?

Thanks again for everything guys. Thanks to you, my life is several times brighter. And on another thread I've gotten a lot of good advice about modding an old Black Diamond Moonlight headlamp. The collective wisdom of this place blows me away!

Gene43

Enlightened
The M60 is designed to withstand the shock and abuse of a weapon mount. If you manage to tear it up, I'll replace it or refund your purchase price, your choice.

Thanks, Gene

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I just got a BugOutGear Q5 and installed it in my E2E (with a "C" head adapter) and I can tell you it's awesome! Get one if you can afford it. You won't be disappointed.