TL3 Xenon vs LED thrower anyone?

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm interested in an occasional-use long distance spotting light for use on night hikes (i.e. something lightweight, not a HID lantern). Anyone done a shootout of a TL3 vs an A9/DBS/Cree Projection class of light? The TL3 should be roughly comparable to the LED in total output so I'm wondering mostly about beam shape. Obviously the LED is much more efficient but that's not a big issue for this application. No I'm not trying to decide which to buy. I already have a TL3 and am wondering whether it's worthwhile switching to a led.

martonic

Enlightened
A TL-3 incan (w/stock LOP reflector) has a larger hotspot and larger spill area than say the Tiablo A9 Q5 (smooth). The total output is about the same. The Tiablo can throw its relatively small spot quite a bit further. The TL-3's spill region, though large, is not as bright as that of the Tiablo. The LED will stay brighter for much longer on a single set of batteries. However, the incan light has a broader color spectrum and provides high-contrast visibility to a larger area in the midrange.

In short, the Tiablo makes a phenomenal long-range spotter.

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
The Tiablo`s have more throw as an TL3.
Notice you compare 3x CR123 with an 2x CR123 Light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Tiablo does throw better than my old TL-3 did, and has a WAY brighter spill beam. Yet, I still feel a nostalgic longing for my original throw light, even though I sold it over a year ago. The TL-3 on 2x17500's was a pretty great light.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, the DBS trumps them all, and the new pills that are now available will put the DBS even farther ahead. :) It is slightly larger than the Tiablo if size is an issue.