Surefire Z2 vs. C2 Centurion

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for the best flashlight to use with a firearm, and I've narrowed my choices down to the surefire Z2 and C2. I currently don't have access to either, and I was wondering if anyone who has used either could give me their opinions. Thanks.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm been using a Z2. It's got a Malkoff M60 LED dropin and a Surefire Z59 tailcap. I think the Z2 gives you more gripping area over the C2 but in the end it will be a matter of personal preference. I've had no problems with the HAII finish on the Z2 other than wear on the sharper edges. The C2's HAIII will have better wear and scratch resistance if you find that important.

The Z59 is a very handy upgrade because when you deploy the light you have a choice of momentary or constant-on light activation without having to rotate the tailcap of your light. When you install the tailcap it is screwed all the way down. Once installed it never needs to be adjusted. Push lightly on the tailcap for momentary activation, push harder to "click" the light into constant-on mode, click again for off. Momentary is important with handgun use. The stock LOTC requires you to adjust the cap down to the level of sensitivity you want . This takes too much time and forces you to blink the light several times while you adjust the sensitivity just right.

Something else I've installed, thats not necessary, is an M2 bezel to replace the stock bezel. It provides shock protection and it's overall diameter is larger. When you deploy the light up alongside the handgun the larger diameter of the M2 head rests alongside the front trigger guard/strap giving you a more permanent "weld". This acts in a way to keep the light's bezel from wandering around in your off hand. It won't be perfectly aligned with your sights like a weapon mounted light but will keep the lights position relatively stable in relation to your sighting radius.

Last edited:

hirby

Newly Enlightened
My opinion only:
The Z2 has a more comfortable slimmer round body. THe C2 has a heavier square body that isn't the most comfortablr to actually hold (looks cool though). The Z2 has adjustable rubber washers to set spacing for rogers grip and as it is slimmer, works better in that grip style. The C2 has a pocket clip and a pyrex glass lens (Z2 is plastic lens, at least mine is) and the green hard annodizing. Of the two, I think the C2 is more water resistant.

C2=Looks cooler and probably slighty tougher
Z2=more comfortable and slightly cheaper

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion for not that much more $$ would be the M2. Very nice looking light that is.... "Similar to our C2 but slightly longer and slightly heavier due to integral shock-isolation system to withstand repeated recoil or impact." Anyway, I will have all 3 before long. I'm addicted to Surefire...don't ya know?

Rob

I'm looking for the best flashlight to use with a firearm, and I've narrowed my choices down to the surefire Z2 and C2. I currently don't have access to either, and I was wondering if anyone who has used either could give me their opinions. Thanks.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely a better choice the M2 and agree with bondr006. By having the shock isolated head, bulb life will be much improved. Double o-ring seal at the tailcap and better grips overall.

Size15's

Flashaholic
For use with a firearm prompts me to consider three things:

1) Training. I would want to be training, in as realistic as possible ways to use a tool such as a handheld flashlight in conjunction with my firearm.
I would like to think I would be researching training courses etc as my primary investment / ongoing expenditure.

2) Method of carry. I guess this is linked to the carry method I'd select for my firearm. If I expect to need my firearm quickly then I guess I can expect to need my flashlight quickly as well. To that end one has the "speed holsters" that locate on one's belt - overtly carried - fast to access.
However, it seems to me that a flashlight carried clipped inside a pants (trousers/combats/BDU/suit etc) is a more concealed means of having pretty fast access.

3) Ergonomics. That is the ability to be used as required in conjunction with my firearm to sufficiently illuminate in the environments I'm most likely to find myself in.

The Z2/G2Z is kinda ruled out because of the need to find a fast yet not too overt carry method.

The M2 (even with it's now lighter-weight bezel) is a bit overkill unless I'm really going to be getting into rough-and-tumbles on a regular basis.

The C2 has a pocketclip and is less bulky compared to the M2. I would use a P61 High Output Lamp Assembly for it.

I would also select an L2 or A2 as my EDC flashlight so that I have a dedicated flashlight for use with my firearm (that I know the SF123A's are fresh in), and a backup for it should I need one.

I am interested to learn what people actually use, and welcome feedback on my thoughts since I'm not able to ground-truth or refine them for myself.

Al

TENNlumens

Newly Enlightened
The Z2 is the newest version of the original 6Z. The 6Z was designed for use with a firearm. There are multiple rubber rings to adjust to your grip-size. With the "C" versions adding to increased finish protection (HA), weight, pocket clip, and shock-isolated head (M2). Also, there is only one rubber ring, which is fixed, to allow for no grip-size adjustment on the C2/M2.

I personally carry a 6Z in my mag pouch. I also have the X200B on my pistol. This combination has worked well for me. The combo mag pouch solves carry issues if you are carrying a firearm. If this doesn't work for you, consider the E2e. This allows for a pocket clip, lightweight, small diameter, easy carry. (Maybe the L4/L2 if you go LED.)

Personally, for "standard carry", the C2/M2 are too bulky for me. However, if I were to carry with a tac-vest, call-out bag, or other load-bearing gear, the C2/M2 or, an M3, would be easier utlized.

If there is any down-side to the Z2 is the Incan. bulb is not isolated like the M2. However, the smaller head, and those features mentioned above, outway that issue to me. Plus, you should carry more than one light anyway. If this was a mnajor issue to you, consider a good quality drop-in LED. Just know that the "throw" will be less, and is also less contrasty. This could diminsh your longer distance I.D. capabilities...

I hope that this gives you more insight on your options. Thankfully this is a great Forum, with huge amounts of "Bright" Members that know many angles of this arena of lights. This is just my brief input to help out.

Be Safe!

Don

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z2 and C2 are similar enough that personal preference is probably a good selection criteria. I have the C2, and used it one night to search for and arrest bailouts from a car tire spiking--though I didn't draw my gun at any point.

In my search for a good search/contact light (which is how I classify this need): As bright as possible, first. Easy to use with one hand, for obvious reasons. Reliable would be my preference but seems to be elusive enough that I carry more than one flashlight routinely. I find myself going from light to light when one isn't what I need or doesn't work.

These criteria allow for many flashlights to be adequate to the role. Some law enforcement CPFers whose opinions I respect also dislike multiple light levels and modes. They prefer on and off, with nothing else to think about. I generally agree in principle, but am not absolute on the issue.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Lightraven..

In my limited (though quite likely to be expanded upon very shortly) experience, the simple one-hand light is best. I tried the Z2 and C2/M2, and I personally liked the Z2 better because I didn't have to worry about where the clip was located. My gear all rides in kydex for this sort of thing (holsters by RMHolsters) so the clip wasn't really an issue for carry.

I like a multi-mode one-hand for EDC, something like the A2 or a PD from McGizmo - dim for most uses, bright enough for the others. They're not quite enough for "duty" use, IMO, but they make a good backup, like Al was saying above.

Of course, I shoot like snow in June using the Rogers grip style, and generally prefering the Harries grip I could use a whole lot of other lights, but a great deal of others will disagree. At least with the Z2 I can do either..

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The following depends a little on how and where you carry the light you will use with the firearm. It also depends a lot on personal preferences and training.

I strongly prefer and still use daily the 6Z. I prefer it to the Z2 body style and strongly prefer it to the C2. The reasons are: 1. The fully rounded body of the original 6Z means that the light always comes out "right." 2. The recessed portion of the body is, I believe, deeper - or at least it feels that way - on the 6Z, compared to the Z2 and the C2. By definition, when you need that light, you don't want to have to worry about whether you'll get a good grip and whether the light is oriented correctly to give you the best grip.

I keep looking at the G2Z lights and thinking that they are the successor to the 6Z and would make a better choice than the Z2/C2, but I am so bonded to my 6Z that I've never bothered to check out the G2Z. It has the benefit of being very economical and probably a little more robust. I've actually bent a bezel out of shape once and destroyed a few tailcaps in accidents (all replaced by SF under warranty - you cannot beat their customer service).

BTW, I usually carry the light in my offside front pocket, bezel down. I also carry it bezel down in a Blade-Tech combo mag/light carrier when conditions permit. Both work very well for me. YMMV and will depend some on your dress.

Last edited:

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I practice with and sometimes carry a Z2. I actually have two-one with an M60 drop-in, and one with M60F. I use it primarily for IDPA low-light matches, but have carried it on my belt under a vest while out and about at night. The rubber rings, slimmer, round barrel and smaller size make it best IMO. I also have an aftermarket strike bezel. Here is a pic that includes my two Z2s.

I actually prefer the stock tail cap for tactical use. Given loss of fine motor control and the desire to avoid clicking the light on accidentally and giving away my position, I prefer to tighten the stock switch until just short of turning the light on. In this position it does not take much pressure from the heel of my support hand to actuate the light, but it does not stay on if I don't want it to.

I recommend a Comp-Tac bezel down kydex carrier, shown (sort of) in the 2nd pic:

Surefires090508.jpg

EDCRotationOrganized.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I own a C2, and have handled a couple of Z2 models.

The C2 has a thicker grip-ring. Excellent for extended use. (The square body also contributes to that).

Grip-ring on the Z2 is not as thick. I've found that it also has a tendency to flex a bit the more pressure your two fingers apply to it. As in, it'll flex backwards a bit. I found the grip-rings on the Z2 models I examined to be too soft for extended use, and too soft if you apply too much pressure against the rings.

The C2 grip-ring is thick, doesn't flex nearly as much as the one on the Z2, and is very comfortable. These are the reasons why I never added a Z2 to my collection after trying them out. I already owned a C2.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a L5, which has the same body as the C2/M2. I got my G2Z as my first SF light and maybe im biased but i like the G2Z more.

However in terms of pistol grips with lights non of these work for my tastes.
I play airsoft and I know that realism is obviously no where near real steel and LE. however I use pistols with blowback and it is a slight simulation to the real thing, however small it is a simulation.

Now I have watched SF institute videos on the FBI Modified stance/Harries/SF Grip aka Rogers I think.

I dont like harries but i like the SF grip style and I gotta say go BUY the SF combat ring Grips. They make a HUGE difference.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main...prrfnbr/24515/1-Diameter-Combat-Ringsandtrade

trying to push the tail cap into your strong hand's knuckles/fingers using the C2/Z2 grip or any other light, like my Gladius or maybe a custom light with finger grip detonator, is difficult because your support fingers are pushed far forward and there is a gap in your grip. I find the light tends to wander a little bit in this method with the stock grip on gripped lights. but with the sf grips your support fingers are at the very back end of the tailcap. It makes for a more stable weapon grip and steadier lighting and shooting. just my 2 cents.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened
For use with a firearm prompts me to consider three things:

1) Training. I would want to be training, in as realistic as possible ways to use a tool such as a handheld flashlight in conjunction with my firearm.
I would like to think I would be researching training courses etc as my primary investment / ongoing expenditure.

2) Method of carry. I guess this is linked to the carry method I'd select for my firearm. If I expect to need my firearm quickly then I guess I can expect to need my flashlight quickly as well. To that end one has the "speed holsters" that locate on one's belt - overtly carried - fast to access.
However, it seems to me that a flashlight carried clipped inside a pants (trousers/combats/BDU/suit etc) is a more concealed means of having pretty fast access.

3) Ergonomics. That is the ability to be used as required in conjunction with my firearm to sufficiently illuminate in the environments I'm most likely to find myself in.

The Z2/G2Z is kinda ruled out because of the need to find a fast yet not too overt carry method.

The M2 (even with it's now lighter-weight bezel) is a bit overkill unless I'm really going to be getting into rough-and-tumbles on a regular basis.

The C2 has a pocketclip and is less bulky compared to the M2. I would use a P61 High Output Lamp Assembly for it.

I would also select an L2 or A2 as my EDC flashlight so that I have a dedicated flashlight for use with my firearm (that I know the SF123A's are fresh in), and a backup for it should I need one.

I am interested to learn what people actually use, and welcome feedback on my thoughts since I'm not able to ground-truth or refine them for myself.

Al

That is basically what I do. A C2 with always new batteries and P60L (waiting for a P61L) in my carry bag (and removed from that and carried on me whenever I might possibly need it). Then I EDC an A2, but that is probably getting replaced by my new E1B Backup (I really like it).