flashlight for search and rescue

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just looking for a light for search and rescue purposes (mainly looking for people / bodies in woods & scrubland).

I'm currently using a 2*D cell maglite with a rubbish LED conversion - and it isn't very bright, so I'm looking for a replacement. I've pretty much given up using those heavy lead-acid incandescent lamps except in very specific circumstances, as they seem to have a very short runtime, and are too bulky.

What I'm looking for - ideal characteristics:

* focusable
* bright LED
* uses standard rechargable batteries (not 123a or anything exotic - I'm in the UK)
* switchable low / high.
* weatherproof
* available in the UK without too much hassle / expense :whistle:

The only thing I've found that comes close to that is an LED lenser police/hocus focus, but I'm not sure if it's a good buy or not.

Seems to get good reviews, but with a 1.25W LED, am I going to regret not getting something brighter?

Size only becomes an issue if it's much bigger than a D cell format, but I haven't seen anything that big anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts / ideas?

thanks,
stevo

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
How about Fenix L1D or L2D, uses 1 or 2 AA batteries.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

It meets all your requirements except it´s not focusable but in my opinion it need not be because beam is very well balanced for small and bright hotspot and wide spillbeam which has plenty of light.

It has 4 brightness levels, you can compromise between brightness and runtime. Second brightness level (from low to high) is as bright as 2Dmag led and last for 12-16hours.

You can use rechargeable AA batteries and still have primary AA for back up and look at those runtime graphs at review...you should have those AA lithiums as backup especially in cold weather. They are little more expensive than alkalines but far more better.

There should be dealers in UK.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Focusable and available in the UK might be a problem. Any reason you want to be able to focus the light? Form my experience, being able to focus the light isn't really helpful in real use.

If you are using this light for spotting purposes, then a Dereelight CL1H with the Cree Q5 module and rechargeable 18650 batteries and charger would be good. Of if you need lots of throw, the Dereelight DBS with a Q5 module will be good.

If you want AA, then the Fenix L2D-CE Q5 or the simpler L2T V2.0 would be good(use the "CPF8" coupon for 8% off).

For the maglite, you could get a Malkoffdevices drop-in and make it much brighter.

Out of all the lights, I think the Lumapower Transformer would be the best for you. With the 2AA and turboforce head, you get a good thrower running on common batteries.

The Hocus Focus is not a bad light, you just need to modify it with a Seoul LED and use rechargeable batteries. The stock light isn't very impressive when compared to many of the lights available now.

:welcome:

Impunitus

Newly Enlightened
The only thing that will fit your bill (as per your points) is a better LED conversion and a 3 AA to D cell holder. You also might want to consider a good headlamp (Princeton Tek Apex works for me, but then, I'm a doc and not part of a SAR team). What you'd need is more of a HID territory, but for some it's a blasphemy to utter this in a LED forum (and also a lot more expensive than you're willing to spend).

Cheers, Rok

Last edited:

Scourie

Enlightened
I don't think availability is an issue in the UK. I've ordered from Lighthound on a tuesday, and had the items turn up on friday.

As for a reccomendation, here's mine;

A Tiablo A8 Q5 with OP reflector, with a pair of 18650 protected rechargeable batteries, and Ultrafire charger. All available from Lighthound for about £115 shipped.

Sounds expensive, but you won't have any ongoing costs. I showed my A9 Q5 to a Met copper mate of mine and he was blown way by the output.

Rob

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
id go with malkoff but they are hard to get...malkoff with both stipple and smo reflectors ..search and rescue may require some throw ,but the fenix L2d would be very good too as its got a very good high for 6 hours and turbo for 2 hours and makes a nice wall of light , the malkoff in stipple makes good flood in stipple and good throw but if need more throw swap to smooth reflector

actually get both 1 for main and other as back up :) use the malkoff for throw and L2d for close flood one in hand and fenix in pocket

the tiablo a9 would be good but the runtime isnt much and uses the exotic batts

Last edited:

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the replies -

L1D & L2D are torches I've considered (and very nearly bought) - I like the look of the amount of light they reportedly put out, but am concerned about the fixed beam aspect of them.

Just to clarify - the reason I feel focusing is useful, is with SAR work, it's helpful to be able to have something of a broader beam for some activities, but for others, sometimes a more intense beam is useful to cover further distance, and cut through scrub/foliage. But I must admit I'm something of a flashlight newbie, and I don't know how many of these lights will perform in the real world.

I'd also previously discounted the Tiablos due to lack of availability in the UK, but I'll look at that again, along with the lumapower, and the alternative mag LED conversions.

Thanks, you've all given me some things to think about :thinking: I must remember that I'm a volunteer, and shouldn't spend *too* much on kit :laughing:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From my experience, the spill from the newer LEDs is enough to overcome the disability to focus. Look at the outdoors beamshots, like the ones in this thread. The spill is usually more then enough to see what's around you.

It might also be better to have two lights, just in case and also have two lights, one for throw and another for flood.

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, well having two lights is always a good idea anyway with these sorts of things.

Currently I'm using the 2D mag with (I think) the nite-ize LED, and a cheap 2D plastic torch as backup, but I probably need two good torches...

I can feel this getting expensive :)

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
From my experience, the spill from the newer LEDs is enough to overcome the disability to focus. Look at the outdoors beamshots, like the ones in this thread. The spill is usually more then enough to see what's around you.

It might also be better to have two lights, just in case and also have two lights, one for throw and another for flood.

You've convinced me.

I spent a while last night messing around with (I mean testing ;)) the LED maglite, and I couldn't get much useful from using the focus - it seemed to just move the light around a bit, and the lens artifacts & rings made it more distracting. It affected the throw quite a bit, but I couldn't get much more of a flood effect.

Looks like I just need something insanely powerful with good throw, and healthy spill, just like everyone else. Oh yeah, and a 40 hour burn on maximum ;)

pec50

Enlightened
I have done SAR related activities in very rural mountainous areas adjoining the US/Mexico border. Given this geography, I have found a headlamp invaluable; I use a PT EOS. These can be easily modded with a cree/seoul. And, I use a Magcharger with an extra battery pack for the distance needs. I tried a few mods to the Magcharger, but have reverted to the stock lamp and a sling whereby I can hang the light from my shoulder. The size of the Magcharger has proved beneficial in fending off vegetation and other unexpected "critters". Probably a good idea is to check with some of the more experienced on the SAR team to get an idea of what works for them given your area, climate, and discipline.

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I like headlamps in principle, but haven't found one that works for me, and is comfortable.

Also, I've noticed a tendency to forget it's on, and dazzle the team... :oops:

Windscale

Enlightened
Try visit the UK Members' thread especially post 41 and 42 and you will find various people who can sell you all sorts of classie lights and batteries. I started this thread so that us UK members can help one another out.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Like already suggested, I think the best solution would be to carry two torches. I have a DBS on its way so I can't comment on the longer throw LED torches but there are a number of reviews on here about it now; I think that would be the right sort of torch for throw (along with the Tiablo or MRV) and either a Fenix (l2D/PxD) or something similar for closer range, the latter type of torch is so small you wouldn't notice it on your person. You could then standardise the cells to RCR123 rechargeables (only with the two stage 'multi-power' DBS).

Alternatively, you could use a slightly larger torch for shorter range such as the smaller Dereelight (C1H) or Lumapower M1 and then you could standardise your cells with 18650 rechargables. Either way there would be a reasonable initial outlay in cost but I think you would have most bases covered and no ongoing expense.

There are plenty of people here who can give you some really informed opinion and first-hand experience, so I would hold off on purchasing something for a little longer.

Where are you situated in the UK?

Andrew

stevoman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the UK thread. I'm in the Thames valley, about 20 miles out from London.

Windscale

Enlightened
I would suggest that you should take a serious look at 18650 lights or even just 17670 lights.

Not many AA lights are up to the job. CR123A batteries are quite expensive.

18650s lights are normally powerful and reasonably priced. The latest ones, like the UltraFire C8, are of very good quality as well. You will also save a lot of money once you have converted to rechargeables, not to say the environmental advantages as well. Imagine you have bought a few cells and a charger and you will not need to buy any more batteries for a long long time. But do note that it is better to stick to a 'one cell' formation.