Ready to start modding

mr45acp2u

Newly Enlightened
I am ready to start modding a couple of my lights I am hoping to get some suggestions, primarily with drivers and led options. I have the tools and ability to make the mods, just hoping to take advantage of all of the experience here.

So here it goes, here are my lights and what I am hopping to acomplish.

First light is a 2c mag. I would like to have a three led set up, driven at about 750ma, power source will be 3 primary 123 batts. Goal on this one is to have a very light and bright light that uses a standard batt. Not to worried about run time, hope it will be decent though. I understand this will be using a specialized heatsink, and reflectors. Which reflectors will work best in a 3 led set up.

The second light is a 2d mag. For this one power source will be 2 AW Lion C cells. Only going to use one led on here, want to run it at about 1000ma. Hoping to get pretty bright light along with a decent run time on the rechargables. Will use the mag refector on this one to start with, may upgrade later.

I have read through 100's of the prior posts and modded threads, that is why I want to do it my self. I am just hoping to get some assistance with components, and make sure that I do not have a major short coming in the led, batt, and driver choises. If you see any problems please piont them out to me.

Thanks
mr45acp2u

kurni

Enlightened
I suggest using 2 AW LiIon C along with the extender for your 2C. Search for download (that's the username) adjustable heatsink. I gathered from CPF that maxFlex would be suitable for 3 Cree XR-E Q5. The reason is that 2 LiIon would vary between 8.4v and 7v, and 3 Q5 would require around 9v - 11v; so it will always fall within maxFlex range. 3 primaries would give you 9v and lower; perhaps somebody can enlighten me what maxFlex would do if 3 Q5 only need 9v? BTW it would be a good idea to heatsink maxFlex as well.

2D I reckon is better using 6AA>2D adaptor; you can stick primaries / NiMH using BuckPuck 1000mA. It's much cheaper than nFlex although you won't have multi-brightness setting. Use DHS heatsink; the price is reasonable and the quality is quite good. I reckon 2D BuckPuck mod would be a lot easier than 2C cluster; I just did it with my 6D. Keep in mind tho you wont get much throw this way; your 2C would have better throw because it will use narrower & deeper reflector.

I hope that helps.