How to change older Surefire 6p lens?

pbs357

Enlightened
Hey gang,

I have an older Surefire 6p (no retaining ring for lens). The bezel doesn't have the "caution: hot surface" warning :duh2: either. The lens has a scratch that I'd like to replace but I can't figure out how to remove the lens. Has anyone here done this? Thanks in advance!

Newly Enlightened
Since you have had no "expert" replies yet i'll chime in. From my memory I believe you first have to break out the old lens. Then you simply push the new lens in. I recall something about placing the lens on a nickel and just pushing down on the bezel until it "pops" in.

Do you have the new lens yet. I was under the impression surefire sent pretty detailed directions with the new lens.

I chose to get the new bezel with the "CAUTION HOT SURFACE" warning and kept the old bezel for a spare.

JackHays

Newly Enlightened
I haven't done this myself, but here is a thread where this is discussed:

How to remove the lens of a SF D3?

It looks like you push the old lens out the front of the bezel, then push the new one in. I think I remember the older post that is referenced in the link I gave. IIRC, Size15's referred to this as "a brute force operation", as in "what will give first, metal or Lexan?" (the answer here is Lexan!).

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I also have a older 6P, I just called surefire and for free they are sending me a new bezel and tailcap
buttrock.gif

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks B&M and bash Surefire on prices...but I have several older lights that have literally been rebuilt at no cost over the years. Any other manufacturer would have charged me, or not made the parts available. I think there's a good chance my overall cost would have been higher for another brand.

skunked

Newly Enlightened
I have changed the lens on my D2 twice, kinds knocked the old out with a screwdriver and the as already said I used a nickle on a workbench to push the new one in. Worked like a charm. And surefire has also replaced my tailswitch at no charge.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they would make the lens replacement kits again, I would like to buy some rather than having to replace the whole bezels.

pbs357

Enlightened
OOOOOOkkkayyy.....

Well,I got a Z17 kit and tried to get that lens out, and have a question: am I supposed to break the lens, or push it out? I put a quarter inside the bezel to try to evenly apply pressure to push out the lens, and have been using the back end of a screwdriver to try to pound it out - and it won't budge! Help!

***UPDATE*** Nevermind, when you guys say "brute force" needed, I guess I didn't get it until I got so frustrated that I upped the smack power a few notches. Lens came out, all is right in the world.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Nothing wrong with a bit of brute force... Especially when combined with ignorance!
That's my bowling 'method' and it tends to knock over a few pins when it lands in the correct lane.

Anyway, Yes - the press-in snap-fit Lexan windows do require some brute force. I'm glad you've sorted yours out!

Al