Just replace borofloat with UCL and WOW!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup,just replace it on my mod mag 2D and the difference is noticeable.
I don't have light meter but yet the mag 2D transmit the light more than before.And i have it install in 3 of my minimag lights and the results is the same the minimag transmit more light.
Anyone should have the UCL replace on the stock lens flashlight,i highly recommended it :party:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's quite a noticeable difference. I now run UCLs in all of my incan mods also while never having any heat issues. I believe they're 7%-9% more transmissive than Borofloat lenses.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my another UCL for surefire G2 and another for my next maglite 2D project :naughty:
I was so surprise at the thickness and ultra clear crystal the UCL on my G2L that my wife was so impress because it almost look like it has no lens at all :thumbsup: job Flashlightlens.com.
And my G2L output (from my naked eye) easily jump from 80 lumens to maybe extra 5-10 lumens (i'm serious - jokes a side)
Unbelieveable :party:

Timson

Enlightened
Are you sure it's not just wishful thinking.............. I have Borofloat lenses and UCL lenses and I can't 'hand on heart' perceive any difference whatsoever.

Can you really see a 7 - 9% improvement ?

Maby if you could run identical lights side by side ...One with Borofloat and one with UCL ..then maby - but I bet most people couldn't tell a difference even then, let alone when you swith the light off and swap lenses over - then back on as a comparison.

Shoot me now :whistle:

Tim

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
some photos comparison -

PC260637Small.jpg

PC260638Small.jpg

PC260639Small.jpg

Cydonia

Enlightened
Yes, UCL does make a big difference, 8-9-10% more output. Every Mag needs one. $5.50 each... try it... you'll be amazed.

The glass is so clear (Especially due to the coatings on both sides which increase transmission) it really does appear to vanish sometimes! :huh:

But Boro is better for heat of hotwires and temperature shock if / when water contacts the hot glass. That's what I have read here a few times. I suspect it's true...

Germ

Enlightened
nanotech17, please tell how you replaced the lens on your G2 and what tools you used. How hard was it to get the retaining ring out and did you ding it up any? I have a G3L I need to change the lens on. I have an idea of what I need to do, but it won't hurt to hear it again from someone who has done it.

Edited to add:

I removed the retaining ring on the SureFire G3L. The retaining ring is glued in. I tried heating up the bezel with a hairdrier, but that didn't seem to phase the glue. I then boiled the bezel in a water filled Ziploc bag for 30 minutes. The ring budged then. Boiling longer would probably have been better.

I'd recommend making matching marks on the ring and the bezel before taking off the ring. That way when you put the ring back on you can tighten it back to the same place (assuming your old and new lens are similar in thickness).

I used a pair of snap ring pliers to turn the ring. I didn't really like the snap ring pliers for this. They seemed kind of awkward for this application. You have to force them open and they slipped out of the notches in the ring a couple of times. The ring is easy to scratch or ding at the notches, so now I want a new ring. A watch case opener or a tool made to just fit in two opposing notches might be better than the snap ring pliers as they wouldn't put outward pressure on the notches. Or, you could just order a new bezel with a glass lens as Size15's recommended :)

Last edited: