Newbie ? Is Surefire 6P LED a Cree?

messer454

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys, by browsing some I see that I am way out of my knowledge area with flashlights. A member on Bladeforums sent me here so I need your help please. We have been carrying Surefire 6Ps (non LED) at work until about a year ago and then we got some Streamlight LEDs. One of my co-workers just bought a Surefire 6P LED and it appears much brighter than my Streamlight. My question is, can I buy a Cree LED "lamp" and drop it right into my old Surefire 6P and equal the new 6P LED? If so, what model number do I need? Does Surefire use the Cree? This seems almost too simple to me as an upgrade from Surefire is much more expensive. Sorry for the elementary question but I would like to use my old 6P again as at least a second light if the Cree is as ultra reliable as factory Surefire. So is it as reliable with Cree? Thanks in advance from a newbie.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Surefire uses a Seoul P4, not a Cree, in their 6P LED model.

An ultra-reliable Cree does not exist yet. Cree-based lights can be reliable. Ultra-reliable?.... Cree-based lights haven't been around long enough for me to say they are ultra-reliable.

Be careful with 3rd party drop-ins. Some, like Gene Malkoff's mentioned above, are very good. Some are junk. But many are often good enough. Still, if you want extreme reliability; that's going to be a problem with 3rd party drop-ins.

Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
To answer your question about the Surefire brand drop in, the p60L is the model for the led drop in you require.

Think P60, P61, P60L (L being for led).

At present you can't get the P60L by itself, speculation is that they will be by the new year though. You can either buy a G2L or 6PL, and extract the p60L to do as you wish.

For example I've got a Surefire Z2 that i've put a 6pd bezel on, and a p60L in. I've also got a g2z with a p60L that I sometimes switch with my surefire 6pd. My p60L's either came with the new lights, or salvaged from them.

Hope that helps :)

messer454

Newly Enlightened
To answer your question about the Surefire brand drop in, the p60L is the model for the led drop in you require.

At present you can't get the P60L by itself, speculation is that they will be by the new year though.

I didn't know it wasn't available yet. I was just looking at the website and its cost which is about as much as a new light. I was looking for a cheaper upgrade.

Thanks for the answers, I think I am going to try out a Cree drop in. They seem to work pretty well. Is the SSC drop in better than the Cree? Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
This Thread has drop-ins that will fit your 6P.

They are both good LEDs. The Seoul is more sensitive to heat and the Cree has a narrower emitting angle.

:welcome: