Brighter lamp for Pentagon X3?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My Pentagon Lights X3 is a very solid light. But the output could definitely be better than the claimed 135 lumens.

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket drop-in that would fit into an X3? I don't care if it's an inca or LED, just as long as it's brighter and fits into the light without work needed.

Anyone know if the Lumens Factory lamps for the Surefire M3 will fit into my X3?

Thanks, in advance.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well.... Normally I don't do this, but I could really use some help with this. The X3 is too good a light to keep stock.

So.... :bumpit:

SolarMan

Newly Enlightened
I got a great deal on the single cell PX-1 and I've searched the forum for information about making these lights brighter. I came up emptyhanded.

That is why I'm no longer interested in Pentagon light.

(My little PX-1 is a keeper even though it's lumens are full of guilt).

:ironic:

SolarMan

Newly Enlightened
I just searched around some more and found nothing about making the Pentagon Light brighter or using rechargeables.

However, I did find this:

:sick2:

Apparently McGizmo doesn't like these lights!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

McGizmo
10-11-2005, 01:29 AM
.......the PentagonLight Xenon models, which I doubt is possible as these are already at break-neck levels given the fact that they are made in the USA. ........

Where the lights are made is hardly significant in comparison to the quality of material, workmanship and tolerances held. The statement in quotes is the fact that the Pentagon is made in the USA. What does made in USA mean? Now as I understand it, I can buy an imported widget for $2 and add paint, engraving, final assembly and packaging at an additional cost of $2.10 and claim made in USA due to >50% cost being of domestic nature. Is this what is going on here with the Pentagon light? I suspect that the lamp and LED modules are manufactured and assembled off shore. I also suspect that the body and head parts are manufactured (machined) off shore. I do think it is possible that anodizing perhaps and final assembly of these lights is done in the USA. This really dosen't matter in my book beyond the issue of truth in the matter as well as the given that product manufactured in the US is typically considerably more expensive and it would be quite an accomplishment to machine and manufacture a light like the Pentagon here in the US and sell it at the price levels it now goes for.

This thread is about the new NightOps lights and it seems somewhat "off" to bring in the new champion, Pentagon Lights, especially if they are reported under false conditions; namely country of origin, as I do suspect. I will admit my errors and humbly bow down in light of proof of claims here. :shrug:

FWIW, I think the Fenix is a great and honest light (of non US manufacture) that has good quality as well as bang for the buck and it is doubtful anyone could do better at the same price, regardless of country of origin. The Pentagon Lights may well fit in the same class but if these lights and components are being machined in California in "headquarter and manufacturing facility (http://www.pentagonlight.com/contact_directions.shtml)" then I owe Pentagon and some fellow CPFer's a serious apology. If they aren't, then I would like to see statements implying otherwise no longer appear here on the forum. Now that's what *I* would like to see but I am just another member and my wishes don't mean squat! :nana:

I visited the Pentagon Lights booth at SHOT SHOW two years ago and was impressed with the size and investment in the booth as well as surprised at the lack of actual functioning lights! They had empty and gutless shells and great images on the wall. It was very interesting to see a light with a swivel belt clip tab on it and the Pentagon Person, after finding out who I was and seeing one of my lights mentioned to a customer that I had invented the tab/ clip system; this was after the customer made a statement that he thought this was a great idea. My take was that these were some guys who were well funded and were exploring the market with CAD and marketing and vaporware well before actual product was present. Two years later and now there is some depth to the line but there are parts that look a heck of a lot like others that are coming in from off shore. Prove me wrong and I'll leave with my tail between my legs! :green: If I am right, it really doesn't matter beyond the veil of misdirection held by some CPF members and possibly due to engravings on the light like "Pentagon Light - California, USA".

I am inspired here to risk controversy as a fanboy of truth and the flashlights, themselves, regardless of country of origin or brand but certainly in regards to the inherrent quality, choice of materials, excellence in design and reliability. The market can determine the value and it will. I look forward to the Night-Ops new lights and will be amazed if they can find any *real* new ground in regards to incandescent flashlights. I don't expect them to break new ground nor do I think they have to. BlackHawk has a great distribution base and a good comperable flashlight from Night-Ops should do well even if it is not something that "rawks" or is not offered at "break neck" levels.

:stupid:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, those were his thoughts from 2 years ago. Perhaps he still feels the same way. Must say that I haven't seen other lights that look quite like the Pentagon models. Their styling is a "Love it or Hate it" kind of thing. My X3 looks like a fancy, short, table leg from a piece of antique furnature.

Still, Pentagon Lights is one of the few companies that comes close to Surefire's level of overall quality. Not quite.... but close.

If the X3 were as popular as the M3, aftermarket parts would be easy to find. (Yeah, I know; that's a rather obvious statement).

Hopefully someone out there has had better luck than we have. :(