Acebeam        

Thread: Any Long Lasting D cell LED lights?

Default Any Long Lasting D cell LED lights?

I like my Fenix L2D RB100. I would love to be able to run this light(or something very similar) off of D cells during extended power outages.
    I don't think the maglite dropins are going to fit the bill here. Suggestions?

Default Re: Any Long Lasting D cell LED lights?

There are many maglite drop-ins out there that will provide more then enough light for when the power goes out. I'd like to think that all of them will run longer at the same level of brightness as any of the fenix lights in a D cell maglite.
    The Runtime Index | For the disparate, my DIY Pocket Clips

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

It's quite large compared to a Fenix, but it does what you want - the Elektrolumens Anglelux.

http://elektrolumens.com/AngleLux/AngleLux.html

24 hours to 50% brightness.

Flashaholic*

Lightwave 4000

mag-led
    2D 22 hours
    3D 22 hours
    4D 43 hours

EDIT
    During a power outage, when there is no light pollution the MagLeds are awful bright even at the lower level after the 1st 10 minutes.

An area lantern with a 1 watt LED drop in (Dorcy, Nite-ize, Tectite, Terralux) makes a reasonable room light.
    I'd also suggest getting a headlamp, when you need to do work. (or a Nite-ize headband for your L2D.)
    A couple of packs of Energizer e2 L91 lithiums for the L2D makes sure you have batteries that are not dead. Dead (or leaking) D alkalines can mean no light.
    Last edited by LEDninja; 11-04-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post
    mag-led
    4D 43 hours
    I put a vote in for the 4D Mag LED. It is not the brightest drop-in, but you have 40 hours of very useful light. The module drops output as it heats up so after 10 minutes it runs just above 50%. Once it hits 50% the output does not move for the majority of the run-time, so it is almost as if the Mag is regulated.
    "When Armageddon comes, it would be good to be an Olympic athlete, because running real fast and jumping over stuff could come in handy." -Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffle View Post
    I put a vote in for the 4D Mag LED. It is not the brightest drop-in, but you have 40 hours of very useful light. The module drops output as it heats up so after 10 minutes it runs just above 50%. Once it hits 50% the output does not move for the majority of the run-time, so it is almost as if the Mag is regulated.
    How many lumes is the 4D putting out?
    A Fenix on low at 11 lumes(which is enough) lasts 55 hours according to the specs. Running at that level D batteries should get a lot more burn time, yes?

Flashaholic*

If you can get one of the SMJLED PR bulb units and put it into a 2D cell light, it will run with useful output for over a hundred hours.

If you want low level, stick a NiteIze PR dropin and it will run for over 4.5 DAYS.

Flashaholic*

Things to think about for a power outage super long running light.... 4.5 DAYS of light is actually several weeks of use. Turn it off during the day and sleeping, even 20 hours will last you a very long time.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

I have 4D Maglites with the Maglite LED dropin and with the
    Everled. Both will run for a long time. The Everled seems to maintain output at a more stable level, but is slightly lower than the output of the Magled.
    Both are similar in output to a Fenix L2p, perhaps a bit more.
    Last edited by arty; 11-04-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiSato View Post
    A Fenix on low at 11 lumes(which is enough) lasts 55 hours according to the specs. Running at that level D batteries should get a lot more burn time, yes?
    I am not sure about the lumens. It is way more than 11 lumens, I can guaranty that. Check this out. Look at the runtime graph of the 4D.
    "When Armageddon comes, it would be good to be an Olympic athlete, because running real fast and jumping over stuff could come in handy." -Jack Handey

Elektrolumens Blaster runs more or less forever on three D cells. It's incredible. My wife stole mine to walk the dog at night. I think she changes the batteries once every year and a half or so. It's unregulated, but on the other hand it sucks every last usable erg out of a battery.

NRA Life Member since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by glockboy View Post
    Lightwave 4000
    Agreed.

If you can pick up a painstakingly hotrodded one like I have, you will get same 48 hour+ runtime and more useful brightness too.

Enlightened

+1 on the Lightwave 4000. 3rd Shift, how exactly is yours hotrodded?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffle View Post
    Check this out. Look at the runtime graph of the 4D.
    Yeah, that's what I like, a nice run time chart showing multiple lights' performance. You can see Maglite got it right on the 4 cell model.

I'd love it if the various modified recommenders could post links to run time charts for those lights. The recent run time chart for the Malkoff dropin was very helpfull in truly assessing it's performance.
    Last edited by NA8; 11-05-2007 at 05:25 AM.

How about the Dorcy 3-D, 1-watt,I have one I got at Target some time back.People have gotten good run time with it,if memory serves me well.I know Target no longer has it,but there may be some still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    If you want low level, stick a NiteIze PR dropin and it will run for over 4.5 DAYS.
    The truth here. I have an old 3D with a NI drop-in that we used during a power outage - was plenty of light to navigate around the room and no worries about the batteries giving out in the middle of the night.

In fact, while I'm thinking about it I'll probably swap out for fresh batts - it's been a few years and I have no idea how much is left in them.

Flashaholic

If you want a cheap model, look at the 3 LED 2D model from Eveready. About $8 at Walmart. Claims around 50 hours on alkalines and significantly brighter than the NiteIze dropin. Don't know whether the claim is realistic or not.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiSato View Post
    Probably around 40 lumens after it settles.

I gotta admit that I got some of the SMJ dropins a while ago, if you can find one of those OR the nightize LED drop-in then any ol' D cell flashlight should fit the bill. I have to say that I really like the flexibility of these drop-in modules.
    ]]\\[[ (()) ]]\\//[[ //=\\ ]]))