Becoming a U.S. Citizen

Empath

Flashaholic
Just out of curiosity, and perhaps some other reasons, I've a question of our international non-U.S. members.

Since this is a worldwide forum, although it originates from the U.S., I've noticed we've got quite a few members that reside elsewhere. New Zealand, Australia, the Netherlands, the U.K., Germany, Japan, Canada and several others. I don't really check the location of each member, so it's likely that I've left some out, but not because your country is less significant; it's only because of my own inability to remember them all.

Anyway, heres the question:
If you were given a choice to leave your country and come to the United States, guaranteed a citizenship, would you? Would you prefer to be a U.S. American citizen than a citizen of where you live now. Is the claim of being the land of the free and the home of the brave enough to entice you?

Elaboration isn't necessary to answer, a simple yes or no will do. It's up to you.

And of course, our ever vocal local citizens are welcome to join in the discussion.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath -- Interesting question for the auslaenders. How about making the question(s) a poll/vote radio button thing?

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
binky said:
How about making the question(s) a poll/vote radio button thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because anyone can respond to a poll. I'd prefer verifiable results.

B@rt

Flashaholic
The thought has crossed my mind in the mid-eighties, but after a 3 month visit to Colorado, I decided I liked my own country as well... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
i'd take a dual citizanship, have a home there for the winter.
I love being a EU citizan, i relish in the ability to travel across so many countrys with different cultures so easily. However I hate living in england. South france is the place for me, once i win the lottery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Since I have no ethinicity to begin with, I guess I wouldn't mind being in the land of the free (and carefree).

Born in Malaysia (not Malay), raised in New Zealand (not a kiwi, only an honourary Tainui), currently living in Australia (not Aust citizen) and have plans to pull up stumps for the US in '04.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admire the personal development opportunities that the US has, and the wisdom of some of it´s citizens, but I also love my roots. So I would take double nationality.

Alex
MX

SurefireM6

Enlightened
SF is in Fountain Valley, CA. That's enough for me to move....oh wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think people immigrate to the US simply because it is the "land of the free and the home of the brave." People have a certain quality of life and for many people in the world that quality of life is compromised by poverty and / or lack of political freedom. Many people believe that to be even among the poor in the US would represent an improvement for them either economically or policically or both. However, this is definitely not true for the average citizens of most developed nations such as most European nations, Australia, Canada, Singapore, Japan, etc. I doubt many of these people, who are affluent by world standards, would want to leave behind their families, friends and culture to come to the US for essentially similar ecomomic opportunities. However, US boarders are crossed by hundreds of thousands annually who would leap at a minimum-wage job opportunity. Unfortunately many who immigrate find themselves not much better off economically, at least in the first generation.

kev1-1

Enlightened
The U.S is a nice place to visit...but it is good to know that you can leave at the end of the day. Really I find western Europe is just as developed as the U.S.
On a side note, its been a while since I was in the U.S, but the news coverage was VERY much United States news. Where was the world news? Has that changed recently? Not just Iraq, but I mean do you now get news coverage of global events on a regular basis? Just asking out of interest.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm Australian, and currently reside in Japan.

The short answer to US citizenship, for me, is a big No.

The long answe is, I've visited the US a couple of times, and was both impressed and scared at the same time..but I didn't see anything which convinced me it would be a better place to live than Australia. (I know that citizenship doesn't necessarily imply residence in that country, but for me there would be no other reason)
I've spent several years living in various countries in Asia, and travelling to various others. So far, I haven't found any place where I would rather live the rest of my life than Australia. For me, Australia has everything I want.

Graham

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
If it weren't for family and money issues; most likely...but I'd still like to travel around and see the rest of the world.

The US is probably the most free country on Earth, which is the main reason I'd like to give life there a whirl.

I don't like the fact that I am always being watched by CCTV cameras and that I could be jailed if I carried a penknife or that I have to get a license to watch TV. They are a few of the reasons that spring to mind concerning my lack of will to stay in the UK.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Bombastic said:

I don't like the fact that I am always being watched by CCTV cameras and that I could be jailed if I carried a penknife or that I have to get a license to watch TV. They are a few of the reasons that spring to mind concerning my lack of will to stay in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't believe anybody would live like that, how oppresive. i guess if you're brought up opressed you don't know what you're missing.

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I was in Denver about 2 years ago for a month - loved it !

I like US for the opportunities, and the shopping/buying power.

But, I like OZ even more - and as someone mentioned above, it is not as scary.

Yes, we have crime here - but in most areas, it is the exception - not the rule.

OZ is the best place to raise kids - in my opinion.

As well, the infrastructure is better, and updated more often.

Eg - building standards are better here. Take the Rialto building in Melbourne - it has a concrete core - with each floor being seperatly supported. When I was in Denver - I saw building being put up in the same fashion that I saw in the old Laurel & Hardy movies - Steel girder exoskeletons.

My 2c

Best Regards,

Abe.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want to see a modern building, go check out the john hancock center in chicago.

look it up...you will be impressed with its very modern construction.

Bob

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened
I dont really care for American cities, but i love that the US has more unpopulated land then Africa, the ability to go hiking and not see anyone for days, and the shere size and diversity of the country. But I love european cities, and the quality and way of life.
If i was given the oppurtunity I would move to the USA, somewhere desolate, i might actually be able to buy a house over there, where as i have no hope here anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Abe Furburger - OZ, Safer? you guys have just about every creature that can kill you packed into that country! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif