I love my L4 even more now

Illum

Flashaholic
the L4s a hardy light, thats for sure, I'll buy more L4s when I have funds, CREE or no CREE, this light kicks 455

maybe a week ago, it was a thursday
When returning from campus I rubber banded my L4 [I wont do that ever again, its not only illegal I might actually lose my light] using two rubber bands that loop from the bottom of my driver side rearview mirror up to hold my light at the bezel and tailcap points....I saw rain coming across the bridge I was about to pass and thought I'd improvise [while stopped at a long red light], clicked it on [without a lifeline driving at 60 mph with high winds] and went through the rain in this matter....

a squall line from hurricane Noel was over us and at one point the far 5 feet ahead of me was there and in another second its gone, wipers are useless and my carlights [pointing to the ground] are also useless :eek:oo: ....I had NO VISIBILITY and can't even see my own hood. I engaged the hazard light, slowed to the limit and got out of the fast lane [55]

the L4 was, well, pointed to a farther region and the only thing it prevented me from missing the car infront was the reflection of its license plate. all I saw infront of me was his hazards [as two almost unnoticeable little dots] and a very noticeable white dot [I should say an uneven shape] right smack in the middle [of a dodge caravan]. Im surprised at what the L4 can do....but I was surprised at what the weather can do also, a car dont just disappear 5 feet ahead from one second to another...as quickly as it went by when I stopped the car after taking an offramp its sunny again, aside from the water no sign of rain or bad weather, sunny and slight overcast

the L4 sucked at penetrating rain....the distance was maybe 10 feet at most, since its a flood light, I wasn't expecting much but any additional light to my dim ten year old headlights a welcoming addition

its interesting how sometimes improvising, no matter the legality might save you from an accident.

Why I would never do that again? When I clicked on the L4, still remained on my rear view mirror, I noticed the spill from it HAD I STAYED IN THE FAST LANE would've knocked out the vision of anyone in the fast lane on the oncoming traffic. If a patrol car were to see that, Im fairly certain theres going to be something like "attempted murder" or "vehicular homicide" on my record :sweat:

I was outside my 2 car garage with it on, and the spill from the positioned angle illuminated over half of the parking space left of me...and whats worse, the rubberbands are old, and they get brittle in the hot car, one band actually snapped sending the light bezel down a bit but it held thank god:shrug:

can someone recommend a beamshaper or a rear view mirror holder for the L4?:ohgeez:

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
the L2 was my first real light and still one of my most loved plus with the output more like 120lm it holds its own against alot of the new LEDs. good to here your surefire helped keep you safe.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drive safely out there. I think there was a 100 vehicle pile up somewhere in California due to fog.

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
the L2 was my first real light and still one of my most loved plus with the output more like 120lm it holds its own against alot of the new LEDs. good to here your surefire helped keep you safe.

The L2 was my first real light, too. That ''wall of light'' is not easily duplicated, is it? I still remember how I felt when I held it my hand for the first time.
I just kept staring at it for about 20 minutes before I even put the batteries in.
kiss.gif
kiss.gif

Last edited:

Ski Trucker

Newly Enlightened
My L4 and E2E are nothing more than shelf queens now. I always enjoy my Fenix 3D Q5 a lot more. Surefires are built heavier than my Fenix 3D Q5 but Surefires out put isn't near the Fenix. Not bashing Surefire, but out put is what excites me. :twothumbs

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a hell of a story. We had fog last night that reduced visibility to about 30 feet, and that was with the help of an overdriven P91.

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
That's a hell of a story. We had fog last night that reduced visibility to about 30 feet, and that was with the help of an overdriven P91.

I would love to put my P91 into overdrive!! How are you doing that?
with rechargeables?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to put my P91 into overdrive!! How are you doing that?
with rechargeables?

Yes, two 17670s. See this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170858

Back on topic, I used my L4 briefly last night in comparison, and while it put out an impressive cone of light, the glare impared my vision as much as it lit up the scene. I wouldn't want to try driving like that.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

I was scared, that was about it...I haven't hit any fog thats too thick to drive in though, actually yes, quite a few times when visiting great smoky mountains, but I wasn't the one driving though :grin2:

Back on topic, I used my L4 briefly last night in comparison, and while it put out an impressive cone of light, the glare impared my vision as much as it lit up the scene. I wouldn't want to try driving like that.

I think the rain actually helped on that matter, if you notice lights are dimmed significantly if the beamshots are observed in a dry night condition versus a wet night condition, but still preserving the throw as distant objects like reflective signs still light up pretty well. in the 15 or so minute encounter I was too busy trying to find the disappeared car to worry or to look for glare...but yeah, not doing that ever again [weather permitting :grin2:]

Last edited: