Opinions? - best buy LED light

RossB

Newly Enlightened
Finnally got hold of an Arc LS - a 1st run,2nd 1x123. A second, apparently, because of some uneven knurling on the head.

Boy howdy, no wonder the Arc and the SF K1/LS head get all that attention. Falls in a very nice area of the size-brightness-battery life ternary diagram. Of course, when you add cost to make the bang-for-the-buck tetrahedron, it falls off.

So. When it comes to value, since I need the UL hazardous rating for an EDC light, I have to vote for the ST 4AAA 7LED. But I see the Reactor's down in the same price range - for those who don't need the UL rating, maybe it'd be "best buy" light.

I know this is a dangerous question to ask in a forum full of fanatics like CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but what's your candidate for "best buy"?

RossB
(Yay! Sasha changed the colors so you can read the page numbers now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it doesn't quite fit into the realms of commercially available LED lights, but for me the "best buy" LED light has been a bad boy 500 mated to a minimag. Less then $50 for the whole setup. Well just over including shipping.

JJHitt

Enlightened
That all depends on the ol' "How Much Money Can I Spend" variable.

At the extreme low end: I can say some very nice things about the Brinkman Long Life and the 'Cool Blue'.

With a few more bucks I'd say a PAL light.

But after that point the field widens out too fast...
Arc AAA, the EternaLights and the Opalec module are both "must haves"...

B@rt

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
RossB said:
(Yay! Sasha changed the colors so you can read the page numbers now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, maybe you haven't noticed, but you can use different style-sheets too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You can find them in the display preferences part of your My Home page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right Bart, but so is RossB.

He must be using CPF Blues too, because the colors in this style sheet have been changed slightly so that the page numbers are much more readable.

Pat

RossB

Newly Enlightened
B@rt - many thanks. I never noticed that feature. There's even large font options for us old folks who need reading glasses.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RossB

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you consider:

level of brightness
quality/throw of beam
cost of light
cost of parts
cost of batteries/usage
size of light
quality of build
durability of light

Then the BadBoy/MadMax dropins have to rank in at the very top of the "Best Buy" LED lights...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
PT Attitude is pretty good bang-for-buck light...

But I find my Madmaxed MiniM*g to OH so usefull!!

Easy to carry too! (and not as likely to be stolen 'cause it looks just like a stock mini!).

My Cop cousin saw my Madmax and liked it... just may have another convert soon!