Will a UV or a specific color light help me find Dog Poop

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it sounds silly, But I need a light to help find dog poop at night to keep my yard clean. Will a UV light do the trick or any of the colored LED?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it sounds silly, but you could try scooping up the poop during the day.:thinking:

Thats the problem it is not always easy to find, especially during the fall right now ( the poop camoflauges with the leaves). However my kids sneakers seems to be able to pick it up in less than 30 seconds

IcantC

Enlightened
Thats the problem it is not always easy to find, especially during the fall right now ( the poop camoflauges with the leaves). However my kids sneakers seems to be able to pick it up in less than 30 seconds

Perhaps buy the kids some sneakers to use to clean up poop with :naughty:

Back to your Q, I am pretty sure UV light does not show poop. It will show urine/blood.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you could feed the dog something to cause him to have blood in the poop?????:eek:

That is sick on an unimaginable way! But a perfectly valid CPF point of view.

You basically do not want an LED if you are trying to distinguish poop from brown leaves. Where colour difference and image three-dimensionality are key, you need a well-driven incandescent.

Good time to build a ROP or Mag85 I guess?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feed mine with green trits this time of the year :eek:

Now to your Q I have some UV lights and no they don't,unfortunately.

It looks like keeping those leave off your yard,is the best way.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I could not help but laugh when I saw this thread title. But in all seriousness, are there no dog owners out there that already own a UV light to check out if it works?

Burgess

Flashaholic
You know . . . .

Back in the days when we still had a dog,

i would watch her, often from a distance, to see where she squatted.

Then i'd go get the shovel, and try my best to go to that spot.

Not always as easy as it sounds, however. :whistle:

Sometimes, in frustration, i'd notice that i could actually
Hear the Buzzing of the Flies, around the pile.

'Course, this was all in the daytime.

I do indeed share yer' "pain".

:wave:
_

GreySave

Enlightened
Hey, don't feel bad. Up here in NW Pennsylvania I now have SNOW on top of the leaves on top of the poop.

The others are correct. Using an incan with carefully placed footsteps is the best way. The latter applies even during the daytime hours. I never tried a UV light, but I can't see it working unless there's something scary health wise in that which you seek. I have a Kroma. Colored lights will not help.

Now in my case, if we get enough snow I cut a path with the snowthrower so the greyhounds can have their own "track" to run on, and the poop.....Well, it sort of goes flying through the air in miniscule pieces right over our fence and off of our property. Problem solved.....

Yorkshire Pudding

Newly Enlightened
No need for any expensive flashlights,just shut your eyes and walk about. When you feel a squelching sensation, then you've found it!

John L

jcompton

Enlightened
Now in my case, if we get enough snow I cut a path with the snowthrower so the greyhounds can have their own "track" to run on, and the poop.....Well, it sort of goes flying through the air in miniscule pieces right over our fence and off of our property. Problem solved.....

I wouldn't want to be the one who cleans your snow blower!!! :green:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not help but laugh when I saw this thread title. But in all seriousness, are there no dog owners out there that already own a UV light to check out if it works?
Yes and I will conduct a test tonight,again.But if that fails,I will take with me a stick with a childs sneaker attached,this seems to work quite well..read through the posts.:twothumbs

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a little luminova (from watch dials) in the dog food. It will then fluoresce brightly under UV! Or you could just have her do do what mine does, and eat crayons the kids leave around. The brighter colors are easy to spot. And Christmas tree tinsel works well too!

lupy

Newly Enlightened
I trained our dog to only go in the woods around the house. He got locked in a night, then in the morn, I ran him to the woods and didn't let him leave untill he went. After a couple months, it's automatic. Now the only poop in the yard is from other dogs..........

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
My solution was to get a bigger dog, bigger poop is easier to find :)

2007_0514_165521.jpg

photo

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

You have everything you need to find feces built in - get on your hands and knees and use your nose! Naturally, a headlamp would be helpful for identifying what you sniff out. Your nose will work even if the dog stools are covered by leaves!

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
<< I wouldn't want to be the one who cleans your snow blower!!! >>

LOL. Not a problem. We average over 7 feet of snow per year, so it is literally self cleaning. Four to six inches of snow so far today with numerous power failures. It's a heavy wet snow, so it is dragging the limbs down far enough to either touch the lines and cause issues or to break and bring the lines down. Also numerous pole fires and blown transformers. Translation = Flashlight time!

redledz

Newly Enlightened
My dog likes to poop in multiple spots at one time and so in the dark in the fall I would sometimes spend some minutes tracking them all. I lived in at an apt complex at the time, so I didn't like using a bright incan since he'd poop near windows sometimes. I found that a blue led would work for me. Against leaves, the poop shows up because it shines more than the leaves. haha