Should of bought a Zippo....

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Windmill Delta without reading a lot of the reviews over on Bladeforums first. I received it today, and for 42 bucks, I am very disappointed. I would not trust this lighter with my life, wish SF or ARC made lighters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that's not how you do it...

----
"fs: windmill delta lighter"

i just ordered this great little lighter, but have been eyeballing a certain flashlight...i think i'm going to have to part with this thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

how does $40 sound?
----

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

sorry to hear about your dissapointment though, for $42 i would expect it to be great...

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, I wouldn't feel right selling another CPF member this lighter, about 20 ignitions in, it has failed, or clogged. I used triple refined butane too. I've seen BICs more reliable!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i know, i was just kidding... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i don't suppose you could send it back for a refund?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can, since my last post, the lighter has officially died. I am hoping this is a isolated incident, and will have faith in these high priced lighters. Will send it back for another one.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
V8TOYOTATRK,

I think we had this discussion a month or so ago. I was the one who suggested a Corona lighter "but nooooo we can't trust you brother Bluto."

Zippo is acceptable but for a refined and polished person such as yourself, I'd think you'd want to request a refund and purchase a Corona. Blutarski would approve.

bigcozy

Enlightened
V8TOYOTATRK, you and I had a couple of emails about these. I am the one that told you about the super pure fuel. In the end all of these lighters have problems. There is always one guy out there that says he can make them work, but I KNOW a Bic or Zippo will work for much less money. I have had Windmill, Bruton, Colibri, and Prometheus and they all failed. Like I told you there is no way I would carry any jet flame out in the woods with me. I carry a Zippo and Bic in a ziploc bag and have magnesium block as a backup. I do use the Windmill for cigars, but that is it.

I think a lot of guys buy high end lighters because they see the price and think they must be better, not true.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't touch another Piezo ignition lighter, no matter how high or low the price. Those things hate me with a passion. The piezo spraking works flawlessly. However they give up actually igniting in a short time, or, the flame level goes totally nuts.

I need something RELIABLE, and that means Zippos and Bics. I use Bics for backups and Zippo for my primary lighter.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello V8TOYOTATRK,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems with the Windmill.

The usual problem is with impure fuel, but that does not sound like that is the case here.

I have a couple of more weekend camp out uses on my Colibri Xtreme CX-10, and it has not let me down... yet. I seem to get the feeling that this might not be the case with hard useage. I guess time will tell.

While camping, I always have a back up. The BlastMatch works ALL of the time, but is not fashionable for indoor use.

Tom

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
here ya go:

Matches.GIF

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Windmill Storm Proof that is over a year old and has been through just about everything and it has never given me any problems. I also only use high-end super-refined butane that is made for my cordless Master soldering iron.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Can I carry something like a Bic Classic in my pocket safely? Or is it real easy to make it let gas out?

I tried a Zippo, but I don't use it enough and when I want to I have to fill it first.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello V8TOYOTATRK,

Can you tell us the story of how your lighter failed?

It seems strange that it would work, then stop, then start again.

The only time I had that happen is when I dropped my Xtend into the water during a canoe trip. It stopped working, but began working fine after a few hours to dry out.

Tom

Aeryk

Newly Enlightened
I used to sell a ton of lighters, I was a manager at a tobacco shop for a while, and I can say from experience that there is no such thing as a good butane torch type of lighter. Almost every one I ever sold ended up getting returned because they just dont work well. They clog, they dont spark, the pressure has to be just right, etc, etc.

Until there is a significant increase in the reliabilityof this type of lighter they will remain a novelty item while my EDC lighter will still be one of my trusty old Zippo's.

Aeryk

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silverfox, when I first recieved the lighter, It would work, but after about 20 ignition it failed. I think it was clogged. I used triple refined butane just so this doesn't happen. The rest of the night I tried to click it, I can only see the spark down the tube, but it wasn't releasing enough butane to keep it on. About 300-400 clicks on the igniter I was convinced it failed. The next morning after sitting for eight hours or so, it worked again and has been lighting consistently.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
always happy with my zippo. refilling it was a bit messy sometimes. change the cotton on a regular basis and keep a supply of flints in the home and car. a big bottle of fluid at the house.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

good butane lighter: Dunhill.

Been using cheap ol' Ronson fuel for years (10+ years on one from 1970's, 5+ years on another more recently manufactured) -- never failed.

( and as I said before, with a lighter at this price, you're vewy vewy careful not to lose it! )

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello V8TOYOTATRK,

It sounds like there is some dirt inside the fuel compartment. It may have been there during manufacturing.

This type of problem comes back again and again at the most inopportune times. Send it back!

Tom