My Mag85 Mod -in the process

Jenova

Enlightened

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer the Kiu kits. It's main disadvantage though is that it does require that you modify the stock switch and some soldering is required to wire up the socket. The FM socket is just a straight drop in. However, once you complete the modification to stock switch for the Kiu kit, you have eliminated some of the worse resistance loss areas of the stock switch. And the finished kit is nearly impervious to the heat from the bulbs. The FM drop-in socket still has the plastic bulb post and seperator on the inside of the bulb socket which can be melted by prolonged use of high power bulbs like the 1185. These parts are eliminated in the Kiu kit and the metal base shields the remaining plastic parts of the switch.

Another difference can be a plus for either type, depending on your preferences. The Kiu kit holds the bulb in a fixed position, normally uses camless reflectors, and focusing is done by screwing the entire head in or out. If you like to leave the light at the tightest focus, this may be an advantage. But if you like the quick focus changes of the stock Mag cammed reflector, it would be a disadvantage. The FM socket retains the quick focus ability of the stock Mag when used with cammed reflectors. However, when camless reflectors are used you need to use shims to set the focus or lock the pedestal in place with ModaMag's switch modification. Personally, I find the shims to be a serious pain when changing bulbs and use ModaMag's trick instead when necessary.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
What Don said, but you hear a lot about the FM bipin from people who want a fast, reversible option....but also because using with a stock mag, contributes to the resistance of the tailcap spring, and the other resistance of the Mag switch.

Why would someone want a setup including FM's bipin holder with more resistance that blunts the higher current getting to the bulb? Because with certain battery voltages, the higher current supplied to the bulb will otherwise flash (melt) the bulb filament. In this example the added "stock" resistance saves the bulb, and gives it a longer lifespan...albeit at the expense of somewhat reduced lumen output.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
I too like the KIU kits as the sockets can be replaced very cheaply and they do give a Mag mod a very serious look. The FM sockets are good if you want to revert back to standard at a later date but I figure that once it's modded, it stays modded.

I also have a spare FM socket in my office somewhere you can try. Maybe we should organise a local get-together for some of the Perth lads? I'll start a thread in the appropriate forum.