Any interest in a EL 3D Blaster CREE Q5 Mod?

extas

Newly Enlightened
I'm currently working on my 3rd or 4th mod. I did a couple simple mods a year or 2 ago and then did that Cheaper than dirt Lux 3 mod that mr bulk pioneered.

But since no one really cared much when i posted about that, i thought that i should see if any one would like to see a post about modding the Elektrolumens 3D green Blaster with a 7135 DX board, replacement switch(might be forward clicky), a Khatod 35mm Cree optic, and a DX Q5 XR-E.

I have modded some of the parts already, like pulling out the switch and prepping it for the install of the 7135 board (1050ma). modding the body to accept the lead wires and the new ground wire.

yeah its actually a relatively easy mod i think, but i don't know if it will work quite yet.

if there is no interest i'll save time by not taking any pics of the parts in progress, or setting up a photobucket account. lol. in any case it will be at least a few more days before i can finish, i am waiting on the switch(digikey) and the optic(cutter).

also for someone more ambitious than me (i wanted to keep the power source = 3D), i think that the mr11 (35mm) Cree kits (3 - XRE) at cutter will probably fit in the head of the blaster. the 30mm optic is actually 35mm and is 19mm deep, while the tri-XRE optic is 15mm deep + the circuit board. so it would probably fit. but mounting the driver looks like it would be tough.

-ex

extas

Newly Enlightened
I have some preliminary results, at the emitter on 3D the setup is drawing ~990ma - 1A @ 3.58v. its definitely brighter than a 1343 p60 DX drop-in with a Dmini OP reflector held over the emitter by hand, and since i can notice the difference by eye thats at least 50% brighter. but i'll do some numbers with my DX light meter later, not that those numbers are really comparable to anything.

I'll do a direct comparison with a DX Dmini and a new panasonic cr123 once i get in the optic.

i ended up replacing the switch with the same type as it had, the one that i thought might be a forward clicky was momentary only, and thats not useful for the lights intended purpose. the only difference between the 2 switches is that the original was tailed with wires and the new one had bare contacts.

for anyone that needs a new switch the digikey part no is:

original tailed reverse clicky switch = 504pb-nd / mfg # 40-2385-01

contact only switch = 508pb-nd / mfg # 40-2502-01

i did take some pics of the switch module and the head so i guess i'll post them later.

-ex

Last edited:

Latest posts