Fenix lights

jaymasta

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
Iam going to be ordering 2 or 3 lights from fenix in the next week or so, Iam looking at getting an L1T and an L2D Premium 100, and maybe a AAA, anyways Iam mainly interested in the AA, and 2X AA lights they offer and just want to check on here that there isn't any word of them coming out with any newer/more powerfull AAx2 lights in the NEAR future that might be worth waiting for...mainly interested in a 2X AA with a larger head something closer to an MRV style except with AAs, thanks for any input guys....

AzN1337c0d3r

Banned
R2 bin Crees are out. It remains to be seen how efficient they are. But if we assume evolutionary improvements compared to Q5, it's doubtful that it'll be significantly better than what is out on the market right now.

meuge

Enlightened
Hey guys,
Iam going to be ordering 2 or 3 lights from fenix in the next week or so, Iam looking at getting an L1T and an L2D Premium 100, and maybe a AAA, anyways Iam mainly interested in the AA, and 2X AA lights they offer and just want to check on here that there isn't any word of them coming out with any newer/more powerfull AAx2 lights in the NEAR future that might be worth waiting for...mainly interested in a 2X AA with a larger head something closer to an MRV style except with AAs, thanks for any input guys....

You should consider getting the L2D in Q5, as opposed to R100.

jaymasta

Newly Enlightened
Fenix comes out with something new and different every few months.

as for a Fenix with larger head, here is the thread on the new tactical Fenix:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178169

Yes I have followed that thread although to me it seems somewhat inconclusive and the whole thing with the "fake" ad brochure doesn't help,

You should consider getting the L2D in Q5, as opposed to R100

what would be the main differances in the R100, and Q5?, I thought they were on par for output and the R100s were a whiter light?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased about 10 Fenix's recently, most for gifts, both R100s and Q5s.

There was a lot of variance in tint for each mfg'r; I sorted through the bunch and kept 2 of the lights for myself (a L2D & a P3D) and I kept a rose-tint R100 and a slight blue-tint Q5 for myself.

IN GENERAL, it seems you're more likely to get a yellow tint from a R100 and a blue tint from a Q5.

I had one green-tint R100 that was so obnoxious (to me) that I resold it at a loss.

As many others have said, you won't see a difference between the Q5 and R100 in terms of brightness, but you can measure a little more brightness with the Q5 if you have a good light meter.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Rebel 100 give a better color rendering and a warmer tint(Overall). The Q5s are brighter and with a whiter tint.

You could get a L2D and a L1D body(they use the same bezel) so you have he choice of 1AA or 2AA.

The stock AA light with the biggest bezel is probably the Lumapower transformer with the turbo force head. But still not MRV performance.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2D 100 and the L2D Q5. The Q5 has a slight halo around the center spot. The 100 is a very nice smooth transition. On the other hand the Q5 has a very slight farther throw, or so it seemed. Also the beam color on the 100 is nicer as the Q5 is a very slightly cooler. Without them side by side the only difference you will notice is the Q5 halo. I say get the L2D Premium 100.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
I have the L2D 100 and the L2D Q5. The Q5 has a slight halo around the center spot. The 100 is a very nice smooth transition. On the other hand the Q5 has a very slight farther throw, or so it seemed. Also the beam color on the 100 is nicer as the Q5 is a very slightly cooler. Without them side by side the only difference you will notice is the Q5 halo. I say get the L2D Premium 100.

are you using a smooth rflector or OP?

that may account for the halo:thinking:

mchlwise

Enlightened
just want to check on here that there isn't any word of them coming out with any newer/more powerfull AAx2 lights in the NEAR future that might be worth waiting for...

As soon as you order and pay for something, something better will come out. :crackup:

Happens to me all the time. :ohgeez::mecry:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
As soon as you order and pay for something, something better will come out. :crackup:

Happens to me all the time. :ohgeez::mecry:

+1 especially in the flashlight world, then you pay "premium" prices:broke:

hope can save enough money before the R bins come out