2007 Inova X0 very hot

chee

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has a 2007 Inova X0. I just bought one recently and I find that it gets very hot very quickly - like it gets almost too hot to handle after only a few minutes. Is this common or do I have a faulty light?

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Hello,and Welcome!Where did you buy it?I don't think that Inova is over driving the led I have 2 older xo's and they don't get warm.If you bought it at Target just go back and buy another one bring it home and compare the 2 lights ,then take back the other one.:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
This is probably normal for a Luxeon K2 LED driven at those currents. The K2 is not very efficient compared to the "newer" LEDs. Return it and buy something brighter/better online. The X0 is not a bad light, just you could get something better online for the same price.

:welcome:

umberto

Newly Enlightened
I looked on the target web site and I did not see any flashlights there by Inova....are they branded under a diff name?

Patriot

Flashaholic
This is probably normal for a Luxeon K2 LED driven at those currents. The K2 is not very efficient compared to the "newer" LEDs. Return it and buy something brighter/better online. The X0 is not a bad light, just you could get something better online for the same price.

:welcome:

Ditto.

The K2 is a hot potato and could easily make the X0 hot within 10 minutes or so, especially in a pocket.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of these last weekend, and yes, it gets very warm when running. My Inova XO actually has a little more total output (ceiling bounce test) than my Surefire L4, which is another light that gets warm quickly.

chee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your reply. I bought mine from Brightguy but I live in Malaysia so don't think I'll bother to return it! I also have an Inova T3 that doesn't get anywhere near as hot.
Guess I'll just resign myself to using it only for very short bursts.

Retinator

Enlightened
Hmm I didn't know the current X0 was using a K2.

I was playing with an X0 and X03 just 2 weeks ago in a store.

Never noticed any heat issues, but I didn't have them on long. They both feel very solid.

BTW, what LED is the X03 using, still a K2 driven harder?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think all of the newer X and T series Inovas all use the K2 LED(except the X1 and X5).

chee, time to get a good Cree light to see what new LEDs are capable of:naughty:.

Last edited:

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I think all of the newer X and T series Inovas all use the K2 LED(except the X1 and X5).

chee, time to get a Cree light to see what new LEDs are capable of:naughty:.

i think Inova understates their brightness. My Inova XO3 is brighter than my single cell (123) Fenix Cree Q2. Almost as bright as my P1D Q5 on turbo.

I live on a golf course and have compared all my light outdoors with known distances. Also, the beam pattern of the XO3 is more usefull than any of my Cree lights (admittedly they are pocket lights and the Inova is not).

Peace,
D.

chee

Newly Enlightened
I actually like the light from the T3 and XO very much but I have a Fenix L2D Q5 and a P2D RB100 coming soon (hopefully this week!) so I'll see how they compare to the Inovas.