Pancakes and Syrup

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I've been eating a lot of pancakes on the weekends just because they're good.

Right now I'm using a Betty Crocker mix where you just add water but I think that I prefer Hungry Jack where I have to add eggs, water and oil.

Log Cabin syrup tastes like it is flavored with either coffee or chocolate. Only 1-2% maple syrup? I then tried something I think was called Tropical that I bought in Ralph's. 10% pure syrup is better but still wasn't very good but acceptable nevertheless.

I then tried pure syrup from Vermont and started off with a Grade A Light Amber. The flavor was too light but when I tried a Medium Amber I achieved nirvana!

Anyone else?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love pancakes, but I'm on a diet and try to resist the urge. Ihave two boxes of the pre-mix in my pantry and a huge jar of strawberry preserves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i enjoy pancakes also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i do prefer belgium waffles however...oh boy!

definately syrup...my aunt jamima makes it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfen - a diet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait
how about pancakes from Denny's? These are good also and, to my opinion, these are better than the ones at IHOP.
Maple syrup is the best for pancakes, and they cannot be subtituted by Honey or any kind of syrup or jam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bisquick. A little sugar, milk, a small amount of real vanilla extract, no oil. It is a cake so, the more eggs the more rise.

On real maple syrup, I think we need an expert.

French toast is a different story. If it is not light, puffy with an amber tint it is not the French toast that I enjoy.

I would be glad to let you know how I prepare it. Here is a clue: It should be floating while it is cooking.

I'm very hungry now. Thanks, Jeff. Thanks allot.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Krusteaz Buttermilk pancake mix. I mix it slightly dry with cold water. And absolute minimal stirring. If there's still small clumps of dry mix that's just enough mixing. A hot pan but not so hot it burns the outside. Cook until the batter starts to bubble pretty good. Flip. Watch it grow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If done correctly you'll have some of the lightest, fluffiest pancakes around. Especially if you use spray cooking oil rather than bottled.

I like lots of butter and hey, Aunt Jamima makes my syrup too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bisquik is what we use, an egg and a little milk then stir it up. I usually put about 1/8" of butter in the bottom of the pan, when it is sizzling then I pour in the batter. A bunch of Aunt Jamima Lite syrup poured over a double stack, mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm good.

Thanks, now I need to go make pancakes.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jeff,

mmmmm paaaaaannnncaaaakes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

uncanny. I agree with your Vermont Syrup findings exactly . I recently discovered the best syrup I ever tasted and just checked the cupboard; it's Vermont Grade A Dark Amber.
I use Bob's Red Mill Favorite Pancake and Waffle mix. More whole grains used, wheat, rice, etc..I add an egg, (well, the olde man switched to "eggbeaters" recently) and non-fat organic milk and fry in Shed Spread (soy- based margarine-like stuff) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
I like this kind better...
pancakepic.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Either with powdered sugar or syrup for sweet, or with cheese and ham for a savoury one.
icon_yum.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've been eating more pancakes too lately...I've been cheating. They're the Wal-Mart brand, you know, the kind you heat up in the microwave. The toaster sent us into a breakfast food furry so I've also been eating more waffles and toaster-strudles. All Wal-Mart brand. Wal-Mart makes fine breakfast food, not quite as good as fresh off the gridle but that's the price you pay for convienence. They're short stacks--3 waffles. Put butter between each layer and put just enough syrup on the top waffle until it spills down the sides. Perfect. Yum.

I don't know when I last had a Waffle with syrup, I like to butter them and eat them just like that.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Damn, I gotta run to Waffle House right now before I short out my keyboard with saliva. I hate you guys!

UPDATE:
I hope you didn't think I was kidding. Here is the spread I just shoved down my throat. I hope it doesn't cause anyone else to lose it. I hated yall before, now I hate mysef.

Wafflehouse1.JPG

Wafflehouse2.JPG

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Diesel Dave,

What is up with Waffle House?

Nothing disparaging but I was in Atlanta, Macon and Savannah late last year and they are everywhere. I seemed like they were at every exit and on every other block. Almost as common as Chick-Fil-A, which we don't have on the W. Coast either.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Bart,

Explain yourself young man! What is that thing in the photo? Sugar or ham and either is acceptable? Man, that thing in the pan looks like no other food I've seen. Perhaps you should have it biopsied!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
we had pancakes for dinner the other night. I also make them with Bisquick, an egg and milk. I add a teaspoon or so of the powdered buttermilk for a little more tang as well as honey and vanilla. They are yummy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I like a medium or dark real maple syrup. I think the stuff I've got right now is canadian, but vermont or anything thats real is good. The fake stuff is just not any good. If I'm going to get that much sugar in one sitting it had better be worth it. I also make a mean french toast and I love that too. When I'm out at a pancake place I almost always get the belgium waffle. There was a place in Wisconsin where they madde a great waffle, I can't find a place that is that good here, but there are some OK ones.

I used to try to buy regular breakfast sausage, but it's just not very good and it's very bad for you. Now i just fry up some turkey sausage. It's better than the other stuff and better for you. My all time favorite sausage is the chicken and apple made by Aidels. I can't recommend that enough. Put a couple on the grill and get a little taste of heaven.

There is a Waffle house down the street, we tried it once and were not impressed. Somehow when ever I drive past I am forced to talk about ze vaffle haus in a very bad german accent. I have no idea why. I can't tell if my wife thinks it's funny or not, but my daughter thinks it's hilarious.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotta say that pancakes definitely rank high as one of my favorite meals, no matter the time of day. I started eating them more often in the Navy because breakfast was pretty much the most reliable meal of the day on a ship and pancakes are very unlikely to be screwed up.

Maybe one of these days I'll actually sit down and learn to make them on my own...

Mark

ab

Enlightened
I have to say I am with Bart on this one. My "pancakes" look just like his. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

pancakepic.gif

I'm all for fluffy french toast (the secret there is to make it with French bread by the way) but when it comes to pancakes - the flatter the better.

Hey slow down friends, don't cry foul just yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The flat pancakes that Bart and I are recommending are called "crepes" and they are the traditional european interpretation. Generally served rolled with various fillings. These are sometimes called "blintzes" when they have a sweetened creamy cheese filling. They are also used in making desserts too.

Crepes are particularly common in the Netherlands (Bart is from there and my grandfather was Dutch) and can also be found in the rest of the Western European countries. My grandmother introduced a particularly delicious interpretation: Dutch-style crepes served with thick whipped cream and Quebec maple syrup (a beautifully rich flavour). That is a new level of pancake nirvana. Seriously, after this you won't want to go back!

I mean this with all respect, but after good crepes and Quebec maple syrup I can't even imagine anyone wanting to stick with thick pancakes out of a box mix served with Aunt Jemima. Blech! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

For those willing to explore the world of European crepes, here is a decent recipe to start from:

Crepes a Latte

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
Mix two above items first, then add below until smooth:
1 cup milk
1 cup water (this will make a thin batter - use less water if you want them a little thicker)
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs butter (melted)

You can use a blender if you like, or a bowl whisk. Scrape down your bowl or blender jar well halfway through mixing. Allowing the batter to sit for a while and then remixing helps to allow the flour to absorb more of the liquids. You want this batter to be completely smooth and uniform. NO LUMPS!

Note that this is the diametric opposite to the objective when making American style fluffy pancakes in which the batter should be just mixed enough to moisten the dry ingredients.

Finally, cook at a higher-than-medium temperature for a short time in a buttered flat-bottom skillet. You want crepes that are thin and uniform with a lightly golden colour. Serve rolled (or folded) with your favorite toppings.

For a change of pace, these are also particularly good with a savory filling of thin-cut prosciutto or Canadian back bacon, shredded Edam cheese and julienned scallions.

Enjoy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ohhhh...all this sounds good!

sorry ab, i don't know any better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i like fluffy pancakes and jamima /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
if you come over to my house and cook me come crepes though, i'm sure i'll agree with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

saaby, precooked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif how can you eat that crap?

the best way to eat a waffle:
?brand belgium waffle mix
put it into a round waffle maker
after it is golden, take it out and put it in a plastic bag so it can get all soft
pour crap-loads of cherry pie filling on the top
pour powdered sugar on the top
squirt *real* whipping cream on the top
eat

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say "Oui!" to crepes. With butter and powdered sugar, or orange marmalade. Just had some two days ago...yummy.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sprinkle Grand Marnier on those crepes and they're even tastier! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Up here in New England we get the whole gamut of syrups -- from Grade A light to Grade B dark (lower price but ain't so good) and from loads of brands. The syrup can make or break the pancake!
For the most widely available good syrup, I'd recommend Camp. It's grade A light so yes not as much flavor intensity as darker. It's really fantastic though and not too way out there expensive. Glass bottles keep the delicate flavor much better than plastic, no matter that many labels will try to tell you otherwise. BTW, did you know that "Vermont" maple syrup can legally be labelled "Vermont" and yet be up to something like 80% Canadian? I don't know about other state's laws. So even if you're into the 'made in USA' thing don't bother with guessing whether it's US or not, because you're likely being fooled unless explicitly stated 100%. Vermont has had a lot of trouble with their trees anyway, and lots of inter-selling goes on, so one can still hope that all the money's getting spread around.

I've been making pancakes for nearly 30 years, and it's so easy to do it from scratch that you might not buy a mix again.

(US units & measures. I know, it's way better to define the amount of things such as flour by weight not volume, but it's our stupid custom and most everybody's got measuring cups in the pantry.)

Basic. Ratios correspond with nearly every cookbook.
-----
1.5 C flour
1.5 Teaspoon baking POWDER (not soda)
1/2 Teaspoon salt

Stir these up. That's yer Bisquick. Really. Then add in order, and mixing after adding each...
1 egg (just mix it up in the flour)
1.5 C whole milk (less if skim) Vary this --> viscosity!
1 - 3 Tablespoons melted butter

That's it! If it takes you more than 20 minutes from the time you walk into the kitchen to the time of 1st pancake delivery something's gone wrong. Don't bother with mixes!

Here are variations and notes.

1. Buttermilk. If you substitute buttermilk for milk and don't change the recipe you'll get a sharp buttermilk flavor and super-rising cakes. Substitute baking soda for about 1/2 of the amount of the baking powder and it'll both cut down the sharp flavor and lower the rising. Use more or less to your taste. I use a bit more because I don't like the buttermilk overpowering the rest of the flavors, but it adds fantastic body to the flavor and texture.

2. Butter. Some kind of fat or oil is critical, and it's not to keep the things from sticking to the pan. If you don't use it in the batter you'll find the cakes to have chalky texture with a woody flavor. Add the butter while mixing so you don't cook the batter just by adding this.

3. The heat content of the pan is critical. There must be enough mass to hold the temperature when the cold batter is put on or else you'll get unevenly cooked pancakes. It also helps to begin with a low heat when you start making the batter. I melt the butter for the batter by putting it into a measuring cup on top of the pan. Then I can tell how hot the pan has gotten too.

4. Flour. Hot debates on this. Whether cake flour, regular unbleached, or how much wheat flour or corn flour. Experiment on yourself.

5. Try mashed bananas, or whole blueberries (teeny wild ones work and taste best) or corn and adding that into the mix.

ab

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

sorry ab, i don't know any better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i like fluffy pancakes and jamima /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
if you come over to my house and cook me come crepes though, i'm sure i'll agree with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

saaby, precooked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif how can you eat that crap?

the best way to eat a waffle:
?brand belgium waffle mix
put it into a round waffle maker
after it is golden, take it out and put it in a plastic bag so it can get all soft
pour crap-loads of cherry pie filling on the top
pour powdered sugar on the top
squirt *real* whipping cream on the top
eat

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Rothrandir, get yourself up this way and I'll set you up with some crepes (best served too hot to touch, right off the skillet) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for your waffles from a box... SACRILEGE! Trust me you can do better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

OK, here's a short how-to for truly supreme waffles at home, with no exotic ingredients necessary:

Waffles done Right

1.5 cups *well-sifted* flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs, separated (be sure not to get any of the yolks in the whites)
1.5 tbsp. sugar
1 to 1.5 cups milk (will depend on your flour)
4 tbsp. melted shortening (ie: butter is best here)

Procedure:

Sift dry ingredients together. If you want to use self-rising flour, I recommend the excellent "Brodie XXX" product - be sure to omit salt and baking powder if you do this. Put aside.

Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add a little sugar to these partway through beating them to help stiffen them. You want this mixture to be very aerated and quite glossy. Put aside.

Beat egg yolks with remaining sugar. Beat this mixture until it becomes very pale yellow in colour. This should take a minute or so. You really can't overbeat this so don't stop too soon. When it gets very creamy and pale in colour you're done. Add 1 cup milk to this mixture, add melted shortening and mix well.

Add egg yolks and milk mixture to dry ingredients and mix well with a bowl whisk. Here is where you can tune the consistency of your batter by adding a little extra milk if you like. Go slow with this - take it in small amounts. If you add too much milk you will have to do a lot of fixing and it probably wont' work out quite right.

Finally, fold in the beaten egg whites. *Do not stir*. FOLD. You want the egg whites to be very fluffy and just incorporated. Do not over mix this batter. In fact from this point forward try to mix it as little as possible.

OK, now you're ready to start cooking your waffles. Cooking waffles is termed "baking" since like pancakes, they are a cake. Preheat your waffle iron. I prefer the excellent Chef's Choice waffle irons although the Villaware irons are also quite good. These irons are adjustable, will signal you when they are at the correct temperature, when they are done baking, etc. They also have adjustable texture (ie: crunchy throughout or crunchy outside, fluffy inside), floating hinges, an overflow spill tray, average 90 second baking time, etc. You can get these in the Belgian style with the very deep pockets or the common style. I prefer the non-Belgian form factor - seems to make for a more balanced final waffle.

waffle-iron.gif

Coat your waffle iron with a light vegetable oil. I use grapeseed oil because of its' high smokepoint although canola will be fine too. I use an air-pump Misto sprayer for this purpose.

misto.jpg

Bake, apply toppings, enjoy waffle paradise! (Best results will be to eat these just as they come off the iron - crunchy outside and fluffy inside... wow!)

Enjoy!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A.

p.s. - the award-winning texture of these waffles is due to the care taken in preparation of the flour, eggs (yolks as well as whites), and attention to not overmixing the final batter.

p.p.s. - if you really want to lose your mind in waffle ecstacy serve these hot off the grill with fresh home-made vanilla bean custard icecream and some of that incredible Quebec maple syrup. (Geez, don't get me started on homemade icecream - that's another whole thread of its' own!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif