First Purchase - Pocket LED FlashLight

lele

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm new on this forum.
I discover CDF thanks to a French forumer from Hardware.fr.

So, I'm looking for my first flashlight !

I need :
  • Compact body : 1xAA and 1x123A flashlights (like Fenix L1 and P1 series for example) sound good. I want to keep it in my jean pocket every day...
  • I prefer AA battery 'cause I already use such batteries with my photography hardware. 123A could be an alternative...
  • ~60$
It would be a "general purpose" flashlight, however mainly aimed to help me when I a do night shots (rides by night with the photography bag and my big tripod sometimes sound like a real adventure lol).

Thank you for your help,

Fred

Last edited:

lele

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fist Purchase - Pocket LED FlashLight

Hello sgt. LED,

Thank you.

I was also looking at the Fenex L1T V2.0 and L1D-CE.
What do you think about them ?

Fred

Gunner12

Flashaholic

You have many choices,

1 AA:

Jetbeam CL-E V2.0
Lumapower LM31
Lumapower F1
Fenix L1D-CE(To get a brighter version, you will need to buy the L2D-CE Q5 or the L2D-Rebel 100 and the L1D body)
Fenix L1T V2.0
Olight T15

CR123:

Fenix P1D-CE Q5
Fenix P2D-CE Q5
Fenix P2D-Rebel 100
Lumapower LM33
Olight T10(brighter Q5 version)

There are also a bunch of Dealextreme/Kaidomain lights that also fit in this category but they usually have average build quality.

Fenix Store has a 8% off coupon for CPF users, "CPF8" the L1D, L2D, P2D bezels all use the same circuitry so the bodies are interchangeable. The L1D has a relatively easy to use interface. the L1T V2.0 is a simpler to use light (Comparison here)

:welcome:

P.S. It's "First" not "Fist", use the edit function to change the title.

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

P1 CE. It is a small single stage CREE twisty that packs a nice punch. The price is right, too; $37.67 after CPF discount.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Fenix lights are well made and pretty durable. The L1T V2.0 should serve you well too. CPF is fond of Fenix products. It's low mode is not as low as LM31, if that makes a difference.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find most AA lights too big for jeans pockets. I ended up EDCing AAA lights.
Mini Ultrafire 602C Seoul SSC 42180-U is my Goto EDC - bright 30-45 min runtime.
Fenix L0D CE is my backup EDC - versatile - 3 light levels and runtimes between 45 min to 5 hours.
UK 2AAA eLED is my ultimate backup keychain - dim but 20 hour runtime on fresh batteries. (Actually the plastic body floats to the top of coins, keys and other junk in my pocket, so I reach in my pocket, grab it and the keys come out facing the right way most of the time.)

EDIT
When I carry a 1AA light (Fenix L1P, L1Tv2RB80; Elektrolumens Lucidus XR1) I always use a holster on my belt. The Civictor V1 is the only 1AA small enough to fit in my jeans pocket.

Last edited:

Old Farmer

Newly Enlightened

I just bought a Fenix L1T V2.0, and so far, it is one fine light. The power went off last night, and it worked like a charm. It is bright, light, and simple, what more could you ask for?

afahmic

Newly Enlightened

Fenix L1D Q5 (L2D Q5 + L1D body), awesome output and runtime plus constant current regulated.

lele

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many great lights have been mentioned, and I own (or have owned) a lot of them. My LP LM33 is a real favorite.

But, if you want something with terrific build quality, real "heft", and undeniable beauty, you might consider a brass Peak Pacific with an AA body. The output is not spectacular, but the runtime and regulation on an AA NiMH is incredible, and they're even on sale at present (20% off).

Edit: Re-reading your original post, the brass Pacific may well be too heavy, and too long, for your purpose....but what a classy light.

That puts me back to the LM33, or the LM31 if you want to go with AA and prefer a very low "low".

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
About the Rebel 100 VS the Q5, I've heard there wasn't too much difference in visible output so either one would work. Since you like warmer tint, go for the Rebel 100 version. The Rebel 100 does have one of the best color rendering I've seen in a LED.

robo21

Enlightened
Ultrafire EMR1. Awesome throw, excellent build quality, great tint color and a clicky. :thumbsup:

A much better performer than my Fenix P1D CE Q5.

Calina

Enlightened
I'm suprised that nobody thought of mentioning the LiteFlux and the JetBeam or did I missed something.

Bonne chance dans votre recherche.