Best lube for threads and o-rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbs357

Enlightened
Hey guys/gals,

What lube are you all using to maintain threads and o-rings? I understand some lubes can deteriorate the rubber o-rings which obviously I want to avoid. I bought a tube of nyogel, but it seems to make thread movement on my Surefire 6p REALLY slow, especially today when the weather dropped into the 30's (Farenheit). I'm tempted to just wipe off the threads - I could hardly turn the tailcap single handedly. Anything "lighter" I could use that will also protect the rings? Thanks!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been using Radio Shack General Purpose lube since I've joined CPF. I'm still on the original tube and all has been well. No o-rings issues at all. I think the tube is $3 or $4.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I use general purpose, clear, silicone grease from Ace Hardware. It seems to work well has the tailcap isn't hard to turn. I haven't used it below 40 degrees yet though.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I use paintball gun oil. Safe on the o-rings and it is "thin", unlike grease. It also gets behind the selector ring on my U2.

Roger

absinth44

Newly Enlightened
just a thought... im into rc cars.. and its something called green slime(lxsf70)

thats a lubricant for o-rings. perhaps that is usuable.

Gerhard

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar question a while ago, and I have one tip now: There is no need for any of that overpriced stuff. Just go to homedepot and get plumbers grease. It's good for o-rings, and works well at even high temperatures.

2 oz for 2 or 3 bucks.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyogel works for me for all my surefire/leef threads. However for Titanium McGizmos, I use the silicone plumbers tape or krytox from the sandwich shop

brunt_sp

Enlightened
I have always used Nyogel 779Z but feel a thinner product would be better. I've got a tube of 760G on its way.

DrifT3R

Enlightened
just a thought... im into rc cars.. and its something called green slime(lxsf70)

thats a lubricant for o-rings. perhaps that is usuable.

haha, associated green slime.

I'm sure you could use it, after all it makes your shocks really smooth and seals the oil inside them.

Jenova

Enlightened
i used superlube perfect stuff for anything ;)
just the Multi-Purpose Synthetic Based
takes the nice sharp noises away when screwing on the caps and also makes it easyer to turn
http://www.super-lube.com

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
takes the nice sharp noises away when screwing on the caps and also makes it easyer to turn

I use Superlube also. It is excellent with metal on metal and very good for O rings, but beware using it on "anything" especially plastic. I used it on a 3C plastic Pelican light I have and could not turn the head to turn the light on. I had to clean all of the superlube off and use Silicone grease which solved the problem.

Gatsby

Enlightened

Same here - I believe it is what Doug (flashlightreviews.com) uses as well IIRC. The thin teflon coating left in the threads really helps with metal/metal twisties.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
My wife bought a jar of no-name generic vaseline (or petroleum jelly) for about .75 cents. I stuck my finger in it and put about four fingers worth in an old film cannister. I put it on all my o-rings with a Q-tip or my finger. It's worked as good or better than any of the high priced products I've used in the past. It looks like my current supply will last 10-20 years. And I barely removed enough from the jar to tell I'd been there. My 0-rings are undamaged, very pliable and my threads are smooth as silk. - Larry

Gatsby

Enlightened
My wife bought a jar of no-name generic vaseline (or petroleum jelly) for about .75 cents. I stuck my finger in it and put about four fingers worth in an old film cannister. I put it on all my o-rings with a Q-tip or my finger. It's worked as good or better than any of the high priced products I've used in the past. It looks like my current supply will last 10-20 years. And I barely removed enough from the jar to tell I'd been there. My 0-rings are undamaged, very pliable and my threads are smooth as silk. - Larry

Won't petroleum based products eventually erode the o-rings? IIRC that is a big don't when it comes to lube - but perhaps it is a tale?

Status
Not open for further replies.