Interesting laws

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I've heard something about a mad law here in the netherlands too....

It is illegal for people without medical training to pronounce someone dead if the head isn't at least 30 cm away from its original attachment point.

While the source is (fairly) reliable, I don't know if this law is actually still in use.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've read that it's illegal to offer a squirrel to a cigarette in one of the states - I forget which one though. If I had a nickel for every time a squirrel asked me for a cigarette... :laughing:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Check out www.dumblaws.com for many more.

Not everything on that site is all that dumb. I looked at the entries for Denmark as I went there a few months ago.

dumblaws.com said:
If your vehicle stalls and you leave it on the side of the road, you must mark the vehicle with a red, reflecting triangle.

Is it really that dumb to make an inanimate object in a place where you don't expect it more visible? Especially if you take into account that cars are passing just a couple of feet away at speeds of 60mph.

dumblaws.com said:
A fee is levied on each purchaser of any plastic bottle which is returned upon return of the bottle.

Another one that really isn't that dumb. We have a similar system in the Netherlands for certain types of bottles. But it's not a law here. Mind you that this concerns reusable bottles. The introduction of this system had a big impact on the reduction of waste levels.

Tubor

Enlightened
Here in the UK (well England anyway) I think it's still illegal not to train youngsters in archery. I think it's a hang up from the 100 year war. Strangley enough I did a bit of archery when I was at school. Painful!