Estimated cost of running/using your flashlight(s)?

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
How much does it cost you yearly, monthly, weekly, or :eek:oo: daily to use your lights?

I'll do my EDC:

Fenix L2T w/CR123 body

Replace battery ~ 1.5 months = 8 per year

$2 = cost of Surefire 123a cell from local store

$2 X 8 = $16 per year....

....$1.33 per month...

....$0.308 per week...

....$0.0438 per day.

My light runs on spare change!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my flashlights but one run on rechargeables, and my curiosity about the daily cost of running my charger is insufficient for me to look for the numbers and do the maths.

The one light that runs on primaries is my keychain 1xAAA 1x5mmLED. It isn't used much and it goes forever with one alkaline cell, so I presume it eats (or rather will eat, as it's still on its first AAA) about two every year.
Let's say three just to be on the safe side.
At €0.41 per cell that's €1.23 every year, or 0.003 euro every day.

bray

Newly Enlightened
ah lets see, most run on rechargeables, incans run on sfs, id say about 12.00 bucks a month and 12 months,, 144.00 a year.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOST of my lights are rechargable, and most of them need the rechargeable chemistries as they are the only ones that can deliver sufficent amperage :naughty:

My keyring light (E1e/KL1) runs so efficiently that I change batteries once every six months on average and I use primaries for that because running cost is negligible. That's about the only light I run on primaries.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Oh, golly.... I'm mostly rechargeable now. As far as primary 123s and alkalines I'd say about $75 bucks per year.

acourvil

Enlightened
All I know is that it would be a lot cheaper if I stopped reading messages on this forum and the marketplace . . . .

:broke:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
all run on rechargeables and i recharge at work. practically free depending how long the rechargeables last. i have old ones that still work.:thumbsup:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm almost completely on rechargeables, plus electricity is included "free" in my rent. So pretty much I pay $0.00

I have a stock of emergency primaries that I rotate out every couple years, and my laser pointer likes alkilines... so I guess I pay a bit maybe $10 a year total. Maybe a tube of nyogel a year though I'm thinking of trying nanolube this time around. So another ~10 a year.

Yep thats about it. :nana:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between 100 and 200 SF123a per year. Whatever that comes to :green:

Regards,
Tempest

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between 100 and 200 SF123a per year. Whatever that comes to :green:

Regards,
Tempest

Wow! I don't think I have even ever owned 200 CR123A cells let alone used that much in one year.

I think I only change CR123A's about once a month - despite having loads of lights that use them - maybe double that for errors in memory.

Everything else I have uses rechargeables. I only replace those once in a blue moon, so maybe 2 new packs a year of AA and one of AAA.

I have a Mag 3D which is in the car - I haven't put new cells in it since last year!

24 CR123A
8 NiMh AA
4 NiMh AAA
3 D cells
A smattering of CR2016 and 2032 cells.

Not bad...

Be lucky...

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M6 is to blame...I'm still "playing" with it a lot, months after buying it, so it eats a lot of batteries. Hopefully my battery consumption will drop a fair bit when it assumes its intended role as a "bump in the night" light. Even if that does happen, I think around 100 SF123a per year is going to be the magic number. :faint:

Regards,
Tempest

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for LEDs, disposable batteries are very economical to use. However, for high-powered incandescents, rechargable is the way to go. Even if I could justify the initial purchase price of an M6, feeding would be excessive for my budget. A 2D ROP will do 90% what an M6 will do, and do it for free.

Last edited:

quokked

Enlightened
I'd say about 3 USD a Month for my batteries in my A2 :) that's with heavy usage of the light too...

It's next to nothing for my E2d with TL-3 because i don't pay for the electricity at home....

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable AA, so whatever that comes to, don't feel like doing the math.

I do have 42 123a in the basement that I bought before getting a AA light, but they are not really being used at the moment.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Mostly primary cells. Not really running any rechargeable batteries in any lights right now -- instead using those in the GPS, PDA, etc. So I have a stockpile of alkaline AA, AAA, and 9V. Then a couple of boxes of SF 123 cells and a handful of Energizer lithium AA and AAA.

Bushman5

Enlightened
before i got rechargable CR123's, i was going thru about 12 batteries (CR123) a night (2 sets of 4 in my WE M100 and 2 sets in my WE Defender). (lights were used all night for patrol (building and community)

at $1 a battery ($12 CDN every night for all the batts) x 7 days a week = $84 average a week X 4 weeks = $336 for the month.

That got old fast, those incans sure suck the money out of your pocket.

Now i have rechargeables , so pennies a day. I've also switched to LED (malkoff) for the patrol light, so the cost of "C" cells is relaltivly minor, as i get about 2 - 4 days out of 4 "C" cells.

also, i ussually go thru about two to three RCR123's a night in my P1D-CE,

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my lights are running on rechargable cells as well, but my EDC is a P2D running a Titanium CR123, and they usually last for a month or two at a shot, so maybe $8 a year.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I bought 16 Energizer E2's right after getting my P2D CE. I'm still on the first one. :D

I use my light at night when necessary, and 90% of the time it's on Low because I don't need a lot of light to get around in the dark.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to run 600-800 123 cells per year.

Thanks to the MN15, this year may close with having depleted just over
400 SF cells.

My Beast II will be here Tuesday and I'll be using the Li-Ion handle along
with the primary handle, so the number may go up again.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Used to run 600-800 123 cells per year.

Thanks to the MN15, this year may close with having depleted just over
400 SF cells.

My Beast II will be here Tuesday and I'll be using the Li-Ion handle along
with the primary handle, so the number may go up again.

Someone should show you how to turn flashlights off! Ya know, they don't have to burn 24/7! :grin2: