Coast LEDs worth it?

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
sorry.... i kinda goofed on the last post... so this is a direct copy of it...

hey guys! i'm a transplant from EZpicking.com and use the same avatar/sn. i have a question regarding LEDs. i am looking at purchasing either the Coast Digi Tac II, the Digi Tac rechargeable, or the Tactical Focus Beam. i'm used to my Streamlight TL3... which i LOVE... and i have a modded 2-c mag with 3 cr123s and a 6-cell mag bulb... i prefer the incandescent color but i was told that the Coast lights are near sun-colored.... any truth to this, and even better, are any of you disappointed with your Coast purchases? (i ask because there's bound to be at least one person here who has one) i am just looking for the best LED i can find for the money.... and it really does pain me to say that i'm looking for LED flashlights now, i guess because i haven't found quality yet. please help... any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
progress.gif

Newuser01

Enlightened
Personally, I'm not a fan of Coast lights. They are over priced and not well made.

But there are a few fan of certain light (Coast Focusing Lenser) model. The best of these that your can get is avail here.

This light is modded with SSC (Seol Semi conductor) led. Seems to be Great light. You can find pictures, beam shots ,run time info and how to order one for yourself at that link.

But there are many many more better (IMO) lights out there and you will end up buying and spending all your Christmas cash on lights.

Now is your chance to run away and never never come back to this forum. Don't say no one warned you!! :crackup::crackup:

Enjoy your stay! Without your money that is.

Noob

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Personally, I'm not a fan of Coast lights. They are over priced and not well made.

Noob

im afraid, i must agree

look for rebel 100 LED equipped lights if you want a color rendition relatively similar to an incandescent. hope this helps:welcome:

Dantor

Enlightened
I have 2 Coast lights, a headlamp that I used extensively at work, and a multi-colored Led recon. I wouldn't argue with what has been said, and they could have better water proofing, but they do the job that I need. Their bright enough for me and feel good in my hand. I'd buy em again.

frank777

Enlightened
Out of the 6 Coast lights I have owned, 4 of them flickered and had quality problems. I would avoid them.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 4 coast models, but i specifically purchaced them to severly alter them, and some because they use optics instead of reflectors.
would i call them some sort of best deal? no but they were reasonably priced , available locally, come apart faster/easier than other items, simplistic, and at least had momentary instead of reverse clickees.

heck they dont have the "latest best" wizz bang led in them yet, that might be a good reason to look further, if you dont mod.

the funny thing is the hocus focus coast thing at $50, can change beam patterns, and some $500 lights Cant ?? ok so can a $20 mag light, but that is one of the coast model feature things. as much reflector lights are popular, its as if some people have never seen a focasable light yet?

heck mine are so changed from original, like the david 19 has an asperical and DD cree with li-ion that will outhrow and outdrive almost every little light out there.

good deal i donno, energyser, ray-o-vac , and mag are making some nice lights that change beam patterns too. the old lenser models dont do that, but the beam pattern is much different than the expected reflector stuff in other lights. pluss stuff like the 15 didnt have excessive hunks of metal stuff around it, so it fits pocket well, weighs less. they drive the leds conservativly, and they use some sort of brass for a heat sink instead of aluminum.

as usual depends on what you want, it could be a best light to someone, but i suspect that the idea the person discovered was the LED itself, not the design type or price of the coast models. they might be even more impressed if target and wallymart sold some of the cheap stuff that Dx sells, or a surefire even.

Last edited: