Why no HAIII 6P

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
Why does Surefire not make the 6P, 6PD, 6PLed with the HAIII natural anodization

It seems that most other models are available with it

KROMATICS

Enlightened
You're not the only one asking this question. Most have asked for HA in black though.

Retinator

Enlightened
I can see the allure of an HA 6P or 9P even. With those 2 lights being marketed for Police (and other emergency ppl), that's where Surefire cut the costs down.

Look at the price difference in the E2E in HA vs Type II. Can't remember off the top of my head. But it is significant, since many LEOs are stuck paying for good lights out of their own pockets.

Hey, if they have to cut corners, that's much better than some of the things they could skimp on. I would think LEOs would opt for a black G2 rather than the extra cost of a Type II 6P, that will lose it's finish over time.

Perhaps other mfgrs have comparable products and lowered the bar with type II and Surefire followed suit. Just some speculation.

Though when I see the prices of them, I think, 'crap for that price it should be type III'.

My type II light (lux I) has been dropped, scratched, rolled, etc.... some scars, but still nothing serious. Then again it was a cheapie that I paid too much for. Life's little lessons.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't know what PK is thinking...but
budget 6P = G2
original 6P = 6P
HA 6P = C2
HA with shock isolation 6P = M2

there is a user here [somewhere :thinking:]that does custom anodizing, do a little search and see if you anything:huh:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Closest thing to a 6P in HA nat is probably the SF Z44 bezel and Z58 tailcap mounted to a 2x(R)CR123/1x18650 Leefbody.

But why isn't it available from SF? I guess the difference between 6P HA and C2 would just be too little.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Lighthound.com sells them. the other needed bits pop up regularly in the cpf marketplace.

And yes, it will cost you a bit more at first, but with the savings you have on recharging a Li-ion vs. buying good quality CR123s that investment will pay itself back quite quickly.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest thing to a 6P in HA nat is probably the SF Z44 bezel and Z58 tailcap mounted to a 2x(R)CR123/1x18650 Leefbody.

I used a 2x18500 Leef body and added a SF Z44 bezel and Z58 tailcap to make a HAIII natural 9P.

However, I'm not convinced that you really NEED HAIII. I have several original 6P's from the mid-1980's that have been carried/used nearly daily. Many bulbs and batteries have bitten the dust. Over the years I have replaced the tailcaps to get the LOTC and then later the bezels for pyrex lens and the anti-roll feature. Yes, the finish of the HAII wears at the sharper points down to the bare aluminum. I have never really seen this as a problem. LEO's prefer the color to be black to match their equipment. HAIII would be ideal, but functionally not necessary from my experience. Most gear is all about function.

Last edited:

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
If you want HA, then just get a C2...

I agree and I have a C3 and I have a C2 arriving today.

However a C2/C3 and a 6P/9P are not the same, different body shapes pocket clips.

They are not meant to be the same light just in HA.

I guess my thought was that the 6P is one of if not the most popular SF so it seems to me like they would offer it in a variety of configurations and finishes.

I have a old school round 6P and yesterday i was just noticing how it looked out of place next to the C3, E1e, and M951.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I see it, the 6P is at the lower end of SureFire's product range. For a lot of people selecting a light such as this, they may well just see one version with a low price tag, and another that does exactly the same thing with a higher price tag just because of the finish. I think, in such a case, I would go for the cheaper option that performs just as well as the more expensive one.

There are indeed other differences between the C2-HA and 6P-BK besides the finish. However, SureFire would have to release a huge number of new models if they started trying to fill every gap in the line. 6P-HA, HA light with combat grip but no pocket clip, non-HA light with pocket clip and no combat grip (which we had with the D2...which didn't last). In my opinion, to those who place a high level of importance on the Type III finish the C2 will look like the better option, regardless of the body shape and grip. If the finish is not important enough to warrant these differences, then go with the 6P.

All that said, I wouldn't mind a 6P-HA :D But then I'm not representative of SureFire's target customer-base. I'm sure the 6P is selling well enough as it is - I doubt SureFire would deem it a good idea to crank up the price by producing it in HA.

Regards,
Tempest

rtt

Enlightened
I wonder if we have a CPF member that can obtain information on the cost difference between anodize black and HA 111. I have no knowledge on what the process differences are but it seems they are both electro/solution processes, therefore the cost delta should be similar. Someone please provide details :wave: