Flaslight safes?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there everyone!

Since joining this board almost a year ago, my flashlight collection has grown, but not significantly.

Although i only have several flashlights in my inventory, i would like to have a way i can organize them, instead of having them stand on end (or on bezel) on my bookshelf. It looks neat and all, but i'd like to keep them safe, dust free, and away from visiting people (kids most especially).

Gun collectors have safes. Baseball card collectors have albums. How 'bout something for flashlights? I've seen some of those nifty Pelican-type, waterproof cases. I love how you can have multiple levels and compartments for different sized lights.

Right now, my inventory includes a UKE Light Cannon, Arc LS, Arc AAA, Surefire E2, Tigerlight, PT Attitude, LSI Spotlight. I'd like to keep everything but the spotlight in a case of some sort. I like the look of those black, no-nonsense, Pelican cases....but they are EXPENSIVE in the sizes that i want.

I could do without waterproofness. All i want is a case with multiple foam inserts that can accept the lights listed above, except for the spotlight. I'd like it to have a little versatility for holding future lights. I predict my future lights will be no larger than the Tigerlight, and around the size of Surefire lights.

Anybody have any ideas? I really don't want to spend 100 dollars on a case, but if it's really nice...i just may.

Thanks everyone!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've been wanting to build one for a long time...wood costs money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

have you considered building one? it would cost a lot more than $100. but if so, maybe use black laminate on the outsides, or some of that "metal" laminate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

it shouldn't be all that hard if you have access to the tools...

i don't know of anywhere to buy one though...

Tomas

Banned
Now you have me fretting, Laurence. I used to have a really solid case a lot like the Pelicans, except for the price. It was waterproof, airtight (had a push-button equalization valve so you could equalize internal/external pressure before opening. This thing was heavy reinforced black plastic about the size of a good carry-on. I got it at a Big Five sporting goods store in their gun department, and stored a number of my pistols and revolvers in it (yes, it had cast-in rings for a padlock).

Thing is, I no longer have it, and can't remember the brand, and I WANT ANOTHER ONE JUST LIKE IT. It was right around US$25-30.

I'm going to have to search for these again. Uh, if I remember it had a three letter "name" (you know, like "CMG").

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Tomas

Banned
Eureka! I found it!

I just did several Google image searches to see if I could find a pic of the case I had and I found it!

It WAS a three letter "name" (SKB) and there are several of them. and this is the closest I've seen to a perfect match to the one I had several years age. This on is a bit smaller, but the exact same design. The larger one I had may have been discontinued.

Anyway, not I know what to asak for in thring to get one. Thanks for spurring me on to digging deeper, Laurence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Link to case - I haven't checked price yet

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it sounds like a gun case would fit most or all of your criteria. Cabelas might be a good place to start looking. I remember looking in one of their catalogs recently and they had a couple pages of gun cases, ranging from small pistol cases to larger cases for a broken down shotgun, to even bigger ones that could hold two scoped rifles or shotguns. I thought to myself that they would make good cases for my flashlight collection. Cabelas has several different lines of cases, and some of the big ones are even under $100.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20772&navAction=pop&navCount=4&parentId=&parentType=&rid=

-Keith

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Here's what I use - well built, includes foam. I pull out the top layer of foam and line up some of my torches on that layer, then put the top layer back in and put some more on that layer. It's only $20 +shipping from "The Sportsmansguide". Click on the link below:

Aluminum Double Pistol Case
66959m2.JPG

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always just buy the pick n' pluck foam itself that goes in a Pelican case. Then find a cheaper container for it.

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: Flashlight safes?

Um... excuse me for a moment guys. I just need to step in and make a public service announcement.

Um... LEDagent, if you could please go to THIS THREAD and read it. It's regarding your avatar.

Thank you for your attention. Carry on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some cases I have put together. The pick and pluck foam was bought at www.caseman.com amd can be used in any case, as it is purchased in bulk sheets.
SF-Case-3.JPG
SFcase1.JPG
SFcase2.JPG
Arc-LS-Kit.JPG

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone...

uggh... i just got back from a long day. It's Sunday 4:00am in San Diego, and this is the first time i'm getting to check the boards today.

Thanks everyone for posting. I don't want your help to go unnoticed.

Jtivat, the setup you have is VERY actractive and very portable depending on your lighting needs, it's exactly what i want to do; and

Sigman, that aluminum case is exactly the case i want to use.

Rothrandir, thanks for the suggestion, but i'd rather purchase a box that make my own. I know how crafty you guys are...i'm afraid i'm not as skillfull, and if i was, i'm just to damn lazy, or busy.

Tomas, it's always nice to "kill two birds with one stone." I'm glad you helped me out and helped yourself out at the same time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The link you gave me has a very attractive looking case. But if Sigman can get it for 20 dollars, i'm gonna go with what's cheaper...'cuz i'm a cheap kind of guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, your avatar still reminds me of the guy from Braveheart!

Neonlights, thanks for the link to Cabelas too! I never thought about useing gun cases. I thought the only cases i needed, or was looking for, were underwater type cases. Great price at Cabelas too! THanks!

I'll comment more later, but right now i need to get some sleep...because i have ANOTHER long day in the morning. Talk to you guys later.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I like the pelican line of cases with the pick-n-pluck foam. I have never had a problem with them and the foam is very easy to customize to your needs.

-Mike