Time Magazine's Inventions of 2007

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
All sorts of ecologic, social, medical and safety innovations, and they give the first place to the iphone.
I've just lost a fair bit of respect for Time.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I haven't had respect for Time magazine for a very long time. It's just a very interesting list of creative inventions to browse through. The top spots are merely a reflection of public voting.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
iPhone doesn't have many new inventions that haven't existed previously on cellphones available in Japan. iPhone may have put a hole lot of it all together but there are very few innovations there.
Yes, I'm not a fan of the iPhone :p
Some of the other inventions are more interesting though.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Apple ever decides to build a flashlight, I will be one of the first on the preorder list. (and I currently own 0 Apple products) If AT&T had service where I live, I would have one though.

I think Apple deserves the reward because it's invention has affected the most people and will effect how cell phones (something we all use) will be made for a considerable time. Also, unlike GM, they actually have good comercials.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The combination of features described in the writeup as a total package makes sense to me when iPhone is viewed as a springboard platform that is only on its first release version. All other cell phone companies are green with envy at Apple's achievement and sales for a first breakout launch into a very competitive, established market. I don't see any of the other top 10 items that can compare to the iPhone accomplishment. The only other thing that I might have considered for the top spot is the soon to be sold XO Computer.

Other than the invention this year that has been able to create as much buzz, impressive sales, and pretty favorable reviews once released. That alone puts it in a special category of recognition since most inventions flop.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in medical electronics in which the industry is really advancing the state of the art imagery concerning CAT scans and MRI's, not to mention new promising imagery techniques as well. Some of our advances are more of the result of progression rather then new innovation but still quite significant and I would think more substantial then the "invention" of the iphone. But like others have said, perhaps that is not a magazine to be taken seriously.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is in iPhone that makes it as an invention?

It's just a iPod with Phone and with good UI and Touch Screen...

Perhaps some medical achievement / engineering marvel.... even the latest Gen Cree XR-E we could call as an invention... (it doubled light output) .... energy efficienct... saves fossil fuel and energy in turn...

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why didn't they Put a picture of a Revolution helmet in the article about Riddell's HITS system? That's the helmet it comes with.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
What is in iPhone that makes it as an invention?

It's just a iPod with Phone and with good UI and Touch Screen...

Perhaps some medical achievement / engineering marvel.... even the latest Gen Cree XR-E we could call as an invention... (it doubled light output) .... energy efficienct... saves fossil fuel and energy in turn...

The invention is the first combination of all its features that are described in the article. It has some breakthrough aspects that makes it as qualified as most other items on their list. You have to look at what it has added that other phones have not, and includes other aspects beyond your list. I think you are expecting a true invention to be something like the very first portable phone, or computer, or automobile.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Dad used to enjoy reading TIME magazine.... That was more than awhile ago. :shakehead

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had respect for Time magazine for a very long time.

+1

Other than to kill time in medical waiting rooms, I haven't read a Time magazine for well over 20 years.

Time, Newsweek, and even USN&WR have devolved into pathetic shadows of their former selves.