Questions re: SF Cree L1 vs E1L vs E2L

CQB

Enlightened
Hiya!

I have the newer SF Cree L1. Awesome light! Single cell light, great low output mode plus high output mode when needed, all with a simple switch.

here's where my questions are coming from...

For kicks I placed the SF Cree L1's head onto an E1L body. The new Cree E1L advertises an output of about 30 lumens for 10 hrs. Nice. Does this apply when I placed the L1 head onto the E1L body? Or is the L1 head completely different from the Cree E1L head?

THen for more kicks I placed my SF Cree L1 head onto the E2L body. HOLY SH!T!!!!! That rig is BRIGHT!!!!! Again, I want to knwo if the L1 head is the same as the E1L's head or not. The E2L is supposed to be 45 lumens. But then the L2 is supposed to be 100 lumens. So there must be a difference b/w the E1L/E2L Cree head and the L1/L2 Cree head.

Man the 2 cell config with the newer Cree L1 head is definitely something any LED lover should checkout!!! Too bad my L4 is not operational. I think it gives the L4's wall of light a run for its money!!! Where the L4 was more a flood light, the L1 with 2 cells gives a sweet bright hotspot with ample sidespill. Wow!

Wow! =)
CQB

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E2l body is DDing the L1 head to death. stop doing it.

the L1 head's just a dummy head with no electronics. you are driving a Cree with 6 volts. you do the math.

and where did you get the L2 cree?

Hiya!

I have the newer SF Cree L1. Awesome light! Single cell light, great low output mode plus high output mode when needed, all with a simple switch.

here's where my questions are coming from...

For kicks I placed the SF Cree L1's head onto an E1L body. The new Cree E1L advertises an output of about 30 lumens for 10 hrs. Nice. Does this apply when I placed the L1 head onto the E1L body? Or is the L1 head completely different from the Cree E1L head?

THen for more kicks I placed my SF Cree L1 head onto the E2L body. HOLY SH!T!!!!! That rig is BRIGHT!!!!! Again, I want to knwo if the L1 head is the same as the E1L's head or not. The E2L is supposed to be 45 lumens. But then the L2 is supposed to be 100 lumens. So there must be a difference b/w the E1L/E2L Cree head and the L1/L2 Cree head.

Man the 2 cell config with the newer Cree L1 head is definitely something any LED lover should checkout!!! Too bad my L4 is not operational. I think it gives the L4's wall of light a run for its money!!! Where the L4 was more a flood light, the L1 with 2 cells gives a sweet bright hotspot with ample sidespill. Wow!

Wow! =)
CQB

Last edited:

CQB

Enlightened
oh! thanks for the heads up then! So the cree L1 head is not regulated and is without electronics..? That kinda disappoints me.

I bought the L1 at probably the only SF retailer here in Vancouver BC.

So i guess I'm putting the cree L1 head back onto its original body then.

I'm very new to the Cree brand of led. From what I've read on CPF I take it the Cree has more output at the same runtime, generally speaking. So unfortunately I actually can't "... do the math..." since I dont know enough about the Cree to begin with. My bad, I should do more research. Just cuz the heads fit onto the body doesnt mean it''s a good thing then, eh? *yikes*

Guess I'm too used to playing the ol' SF Lego game with the older luxeon heads.... =)

tks again!
CQB

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh! thanks for the heads up then! So the cree L1 head is not regulated and is without electronics..? That kinda disappoints me.

I bought the L1 at probably the only SF retailer here in Vancouver BC.

So i guess I'm putting the cree L1 head back onto its original body then.

I'm very new to the Cree brand of led. From what I've read on CPF I take it the Cree has more output at the same runtime, generally speaking. So unfortunately I actually can't "... do the math..." since I dont know enough about the Cree to begin with. My bad, I should do more research. Just cuz the heads fit onto the body doesnt mean it''s a good thing then, eh? *yikes*

Guess I'm too used to playing the ol' SF Lego game with the older luxeon heads.... =)

tks again!
CQB
The L1's circuitry is not mounted in the head, all the eletronics are in the body.

gunga

Flashaholic
I forget, what dealer is in Vancouver again?

I'd like to check out an L1 in person before searching for one.

BTW, can the L1 be used safetly with RCR123's? I mean 3.7 V ones, not 3.0V ones...

CQB

Enlightened
the only place to get the fullest range of SF products in Vancouver, BC is Dave's Surplus in New Westminster.

Ah, glad to see that teh circuitry is indeed somewhere in the light! haha! Tks for the explanation!

Man, the overall output of teh L1 head direct driven by 2 x123's is almost worth wrecking the led... =) but i wouldnt do that, i love my SF's waaay too much...!

The L1 is a great EDC light, imo. Small, two outputs, excellent build quality.

CQB

Enlightened
so just to clarify, it should be ok to run the SF Cree L1 head on a E2L body with a single 3.7V PILA for example? Again all the circuitry for the L1 is inside the body (from my understanding) so there wont be any circuitry to protect the L1 led. Is that still ok?

... I did try this config out last night out of curiousity and wow the output is GREAT!! Just wonder waht the runtime would be...? Any guesses what the estimated output would be?