Should I mod my new Cree E2L with a reflector?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I recently purchased a Cree E2L, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the head had no Loctite on it, none whatsoever, I can easily remove the bezel from the light and inspect the Cree on it's miniboard

I have a couple spare McR20-S reflectors kicking around, I know they're optomized for Seoul emitters, but I can't help but wonder how different the E2L would be with a reflector

that said, I do actually like the TIR optic on the Cree E2L, it has a very "reflectory" beam profile, but I am curious as to how different it would be with a reflector instead, I'm really more of a reflector kinda' guy

however, due to the un-loctited head, I have the optic dialed in precisely where I want it, and I did put some blue loctite in to prevent focus shifts, yes I could always pull the head apart, mock up the reflector, if I like it, I can permanently mount the reflector in the head, if I don't, I can easily return it to stock form

Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Optic pros;
very throwy hotspot, very efficient use of the "45 lumen" LED
nice "reflectory" beam profile

Optic cons;
sidespill dimmer than I'd like to see
I prefer flood over throw

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
I think that you should stick with the surefire E2L optic, otherwise I think it would be worth the extra money for a McR 20 XR reflector so you actually get the right focal length and will give you a nicer beam with sidespill that i think will be the same or more than the TIR.

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
MacTech,
I'm thinking about doing this mod. I like this flashlight but for mine the KX2 head is glued so I'm wondering if it is worth to risk to broke something if the result is not far better. I moded a KL1 with a SSCP4 LED and a reflector and I'm very happy of the improvement of the beam.
Does the McR20 fits the head ? Did you tried just putting the reflector and hanging it with Scotch tape (head open) and then watching at the beam ?
Thanks, Regards,

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
Just adding my wishes ...
If the mod of the KX2 head is close to the mod of a KL1 head, here is what I hope :
beamperfectzj3.jpg

The areas under the two curves are the same (same amount of lumens) but more throw for long distances and more spill for short distances.
I'm just dreaming ...

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I just tried it, and was unimpressed, the reflector (McR20-S) gave an almost identical beam profile as the TIR, with the following three differences;

1; the dark ring around the hotspot became much more pronounced

2; the hotspot decreased in size by over half, and intensity dropped a small amount

3; the spill became marginally brighter

4; the spill doubled in size

I was actually underwhelmed with the reflector performance, SureFire definitely designed a great TIR for the KX series heads :) the KX TIR out-reflectored an actual reflector, Bravo!