my final answer on my LED light choice....

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
hey guys and gals,
just spent about half an hour on the phone with fenixstore.com. first off, lemme say VERY helpful and informative. very pleased with their attitude. anyway, think i decided to stray from the coast brand. i think they sold me on fenix... although i don't know a bunch about them.... think i'm gonna take the leap. i want to get the Fenix Digital P3D Black Premium Q5 [P3Do.q5]. also, i'll be getting the quick charger and the 3.6 volt rechargeable batts to go with. this 'should' work as a regular stinger or something from streamlight as a decent rechargeable. also, there are some modifications i can do to the light through fenixstore so that's another plus. anyway, i'd appreciate getting hit from EVERY angle on this choice to talk me out of it, if that is possible. again, i'm looking for an awesome setup, and even though money isn't a problem, i'd like to keep it 'reasonable'. don't really care to buy a $700 wiseled or anything.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=363&osCsid=f39eb4165e0b2d128c5b955c3c808cb0

please let me know what yall think, and PLEASE be as brutal as possible. i prefer to make judgements this way regarding lights so lemme have it. of course, if anyone just loves this light more than any other light they have, i'd love to hear that too! :) thanks, and i'm anxiously awaiting the feedback cause i'm itching for a great light. thx!!

da.gee

Enlightened
Good choice. You won't believe the output if you're unfamiliar with this class of LED.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P3D is a great light but It won't be a Stinger replacement. The main reasons why are multimode and reverse clickie. If you buy for Fenix Store, there is a 8% off coupon, "CPF8".

The P3D would be great for EDC and I would recommend getting one(or the Olight T20 Q5) but if you are looking for a stinger replacement, the Dereelight CL1H or DBS(if you are getting these, get them with Q5 modules) might be a better replacement, a true Stinger replace in LED form IMO is the Pelican 7060.

If you are looking for a great everyday light, the P3D would be great, but if you are looking to replace a stinger, look at some of the other lights.

Last edited:

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
You chosen the right one. It's pretty efficient. You got the awesome brightness and runtime, and it's using constant current regulator, not PWM that makes this light is very rare amongst other lights out there. Too bad there's no memory ability.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
well awesome guys... didn't know CPF was this assiduous. great responses and such. only thing is i don't want to be disappointed with my purchase. guess there isn't just ONE light everyone 'has' to have because of its quality and utility. but, i was hoping to see the responses about the p3d i saw. and at least no one has said it sux. so, hopefully i'll own a p3d q5 in the near future. thx again!

Enlightened
I bought a P3D rebel back in late September. My only regret is that the Q5 came out not too long after. Still, even so, I am INCREDIBLY pleased with it. The color rendering is fantastic and the output is amazing. It is also my EDC so I don't think you will be disappointed. I just bought a dozen CR123 primaries from battery junction though. I don't use the light enough usually that I run them down overly fast. I am only on my second set of batteries in a month and a half and I used it a LOT when I went camping two weekends back.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
glad to hear it!! just don't wanna be upset i didn't wait for the t series... but honestly, i can't get it in black anyway cause it won't be made... but the p3d q5 sounds like it is gonna be a good one so i can't wait. thx again guys!!

JDJ

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a PD3 Q5 a few days ago, and I hope to have it soon. Got it in natural. Hard to go wrong for less than $70. I knew about the CPF5 but not the CPF8 discount... oh well. :D I do appreciate any discount, however.

It's been a while since I posted. When I do come back to visit, I am amazed by the jumps in LED technology. Fun stuff!

Gladius01

Enlightened
Good choice. But if you want bigger flashlight and lots of lumens, your won't be disappointed with WiseLED Tactical 1000 or the 1500 lumens. Worth the money IMHO.

Good luck and :welcome: medicmerlynn.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
Gladius, preciate the welcome! :) I am scared because I have to make the jump from incandescent to led... but the guys at FenixStore said I have nothing to worry about so I can wait! One good thing I got going is that this won't be my last light... just wanted to set the standard with my first purchase! My next trek is to decide which light I should buy my father... he's been hounding me about modding his Mag Solitaire but I saw the Fenix L0D or whatever it was and couldn't believe it... I'll post on this later. Thanks again guys!

scottaw

Enlightened
I'm gonna be that guy and say don't buy the P3D (c'mon someone had to right?), im gonna say go for the P2D. I find that i rarely use the turbo mode, and the P2D takes half the batteries! As an edc the P2D is much smaller, just as useful and almost as bright. And i'd recommend the natural finish as well, the black will wear a bit over time.

BTW whichever fenix you pick im sure you'll love it.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
duly noted. ;) want to get the rechargeables so i'll only have to shell out so much every so often... can't wait to blind myself with thing!!!!