Got Lighthound 750mah Cree drop in today...Meh. Will Q5 be any better?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got it today, and I'm not terribly impressed. Only slightly brighter than the stock Surefire P60L led module doing a ceiling bounce test. Has a P4 Cree in it, and I have a Q5 emitter on the way. Will it make a noticeable difference? I'm wondering if the emitter is actually getting 750mah. I also have it in a G2 which I'm wondering about heat issues. I guess if I wanna be impressed, I'm gonna have to go with a Malkoff or a BOG Q5 Super premium. I'm wondering how good the driver circuit is in those however and especially the ones on dealxtreme and kaidomain. I'm about to order an aluminum light for them however. I also have a BOG 3W drop in that I'm considering dropping a SSCP4 in, I've read they only run about about 650mah, so it should work ok in a G2 (I think). Any suggestions would be appreciated...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just ordered two more of the DX 900 mah drop ins. Hopefully they work ok. I may get a couple of SSC to drop in there since the SSCP4 module they sell only goes up to 8.0v and I may want to use it in a C3 or 9P....

By the way, I unscrewed the reflector to look at how the Cree module is mounted and I see the wires to go to the emitter. How is the emitter connected? From underneath?

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess what I mean is there any way to take the emitter off the star and replace it. Can I just epoxy the emitter to the star and run the wires to the leads? What side is positive and negative...

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Maybe you got a bad one? I was impressed with mine. It's my only drop-in so I don't have another to compare it, but it isn't far behind my LumaPower M1-R with an 18650, which isn't quite as bright as it runs on 2xCR123's but it's still pretty bright and the drop-in came close and has a good beam.
I'm running the drop-in with 2xCR123's in a modified 3P with one-cell grippy extender. The fit and electrical contact seemed perfect so that's probably helping it perform to it's max.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes the Q5 will not make much difference. There is a difference in the forward voltage, and in some lights- depending on the driver board- nothing impressive. Only way to know is to do it. I have several p4 cree's that are outstanding in throw and output. I also have a Q4- that is good, but not any better than many of my other lights..and some of my best are the seoul Q bin led's that I upgraded several lights with.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a drop-in but the Q5 in my P1D is extremely bright IMO. But I guess some emitters are overachievers and some are just average.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a drop-in but the Q5 in my P1D is extremely bright IMO. But I guess some emitters are overachievers and some are just average.