kiadomains' aaa 100 lumen light

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i just got this light in the mail.
it wouldn't fire up on any of my rechargeable aaa's, so i thought it was dead on arrival.
however, my wife put in an alkaline and it fired up, although it was maybe 30 lumens tops.
it could have been a low cell, as i'm sure it's not regulated and runtime is not what this light was made for.

can anyone tell me if this is how the light is?
does it require fresh aaa alkalines only?
can i put in a 10440 to make it fire up?
i like my new 10440 light with charger combo, but i realize it was made for 3.6 volts.

can anyone help me to enjoy this light?

robo21

Enlightened
100 lumens is very optimistic ;) I'd say the output with a fresh Duracel is about 40-50 lumens tops which for this size light is pretty darned good. And no it doesn't require only fresh batteries. Though I haven't done any run time tests.

For what it is I think it's a great little keychain light.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
100 lumens is very optimistic ;) I'd say the output with a fresh Duracel is about 40-50 lumens tops which for this size light is pretty darned good. And no it doesn't require only fresh batteries. Though I haven't done any run time tests.

For what it is I think it's a great little keychain light.

does it take ni mh batteries?
can it handle a 10440?

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
I'm still a noob here but I've read about other folks' experiences with new lights and it sounds like you may want to try cleaning the little bugger up - the contacts I mean. I'm sure someone more experienced can chime in on this.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
I believe that it is designed to run on the lower internal resistance of a Nimh. It should be much brighter on Nimh. RV7's drivers are like that.
Do not put a 10440 cell in it.
Check for contact issues. The circuit is probably just not being completed.
Mike

moon lander

Enlightened
dont panic. the plastic wrap of the nimh cell is probably protruding from the negative end, preventing contact with the flat inside of the tailcap. shave a bit of that plastic off so the metal is exposed.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
you guys are great.
i had tried four ni mh batteries last night and none of them worked.
i charged them all, and tried another one hot off the charger.
i just peeled back the plastic and it fired right up!

pretty bright white wallin it, i'll try it outside and give my .02 when i'm not so sick.

thanks,