Surefire Crees?

Fiat Lux

Newly Enlightened
My search keeps crashing so I'm gonna ask this question which has probably been answered elsewhere, sorry.

I spoke to SF the other day to have my 9AN Commander fixed and asked if they had any LED lights with the new cree LEDs in them. She seemed to want to tell me something b getting me to read btwn the lines, but I'm still confused. She said Yes we do, but we do not call the bulbs Cree LEDs we call them NEW Surefire LEDs and they are only in our NEW model LED lights.

I don't know if they are using genuine Cree LEDs and which lights are NEW? I don't see any new lights on their website. I want something like a E2E or E1E for EDC light in LED and don't want to get one that will be outdated in weeks or months. So what gives at SF considering the new Cree LEDs?

God Bless

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1, E1L, and E2L all have Cree LEDs standard now. The 6PL and G2L have SSC P4s standard.n SureFire has never been a company to heavily advertise which emitters they are using, nor the specific bin codes. They have some press releases on their site that say when they switched from using Lumileds products to Cree/SSC products.

FiftyCalAl

Newly Enlightened
on a similar note, how can you tell if a light has the new leds versus the old? For example, if I buy a Scout Light on ebay, is there a way to tell if it is the new or the old? The packaging looks the same I think (hang card)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total Internal Reflection, what's commonly referred to here as an "optic". Basically, if the flashlight does not use a reflector, it probably uses an optic.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's TIR optics look similar to this:
TIR-1635sm.jpg

TIR-1966smo.jpg

Shelby Chan Photography

Note that these TIR optics were photographed quite a while back and are not the ones being used in the KX1/KX2/L1/X300

Also, I wouldn't be so fast to assume that an LED you can not see (hidden behind a TIR) is this or that.