Brightest Non-LS LED?

OddOne

Enlightened
Nichia is getting 6,400 mcd (typical) out of their NPSW500BS, but I seem to recall there were some batches pushing 8,000.

No idea if that's still the reigning king of the T-1 3/4 world...

oO

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i seem to recall something about 9,600mcd?

i'm not very up on non-luxeon led technology...

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure whether you're in the UK, but if so, www.maplin.co.uk is a good place to look for LEDs I think, I haven't been to the site in a while, but that's where I get nearly all of my electronic stuff from. (Well, the Aberdeen store anyway)
Most of their LEDs are Kingbright, though they do stock Nichia parts as well.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn`t bother with Maplins unless you`re desperate. They`ll charge you £3 (almost US$5!) for a basic Nichia green, blue or white LED. They don`t stock the decent (10 degree) whites, only the 50 degree wide-angle ones, and I don`t think the brightness ranks are all that good either.

Having seen all these overseas, online sources for high brightness LEDs, I wouldn`t buy them from any UK distributor again. Not unless I only needed one or two and was in a hurry.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive noticed that LEDs are brighter if they're "pulsed" what exactly is that and how do u do it? Does it look like it's flashing, or is it faster than you can see?

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
MTFD17, The latter of what you said. You use an IC of some kind with a customized circuit and pulse the LED faster than a person can see. Very much like how any standard incand. or fluorescent AC room lighting works.