Return of the smooth reflector?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that as long as the emitter is centered perfectly that there aren't any noticeable defects and you get the benefit of increased throw. Incans will still need OP reflectors cuz the filament will still cause artifacts. I would like to see some Cree/SSC p60 sized drop ins with super polished smooth reflectors. Anyone else?

JediNight

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you 100 %
I'm one of the few that prefer throw over flood.

The only P60 Cree drop in that had a totally smooth
reflector was Malkoff's ORIGINAL drop in. Unfortunately,
his reflectors are not textured.

I recently ordered a Q5 drop in from Bug out gear....I can't
wait to see how that turns out.

John

scottaw

Enlightened
It all depends on the light really, I love my P2D with a smooth reflector, and my ML-1 with the same. But my P60 dropin is a light OP. Around 200 lumens a light OP will give a HUGE hotspot and still throw quite a bit, under 100 lumens a smoothie is just right (for me)

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1 to what scottaw said.

Unfortunately smooth, shallow reflectors tend to throw wire shadows from the diode. A very low orange peel texture still throws a long way and blends away the artifacts. The deeper reflectors seem to overcome the wire shadow issue completely but make the light fairly lengthy.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Light Orange Peel - VLOP. That would be nice, youre right. Or even ULOP (Ultra Light Orange Peel). I really like what the orange peel reflectors have done for flashlight beams, but some are just too heavy.

mdocod

Flashaholic
when I first got into this hobby, I liked the lure of the perfect smooth beams with no artifacts... To be honest, anymore, I don't give a darn about artifacts and will happily live with a lousy beam profile to achieve throw on an incan. As you go up in lumens, artifacts are less and less of a big deal.... Thor being a great example.