are there any LED flashlights I can use 3.7V

CBennett

Newly Enlightened
are there any LED flashlights that I can use my rechargeable 3.7V CR123's in? I have blown up 1 LED light and the other was either just bad or blew up also..I am pretty sure both were a case of the 3.7's being too powerful..is there a decent LED flashlight that I can use my 3.7V rechargeables in?

The 2 lights I had took 2 123's. thats about the size of light I want.... Or are these 3.7V ones just so powerful that they will fry everything I try them in...ive seen a bunch of decent deals but hesitate cause last thing I want to do is buy a light for $50 and then blow it up too.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are many that can run on the 3,7v batteries(4.2 off the charger). Many are on Dealextreme(like this one or this one, stick with the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section and look at the well reviewed lights of this section)

The Voltage is too high for and Incan, you'll need a special bulb and the LED in you cheap light has been overdriven ant that is what caused the flickering.

The lights I liked to actualy have a driver that keeps the voltage constant. the 1 Cr123 light's LED can take the extra voltage but the 5mm LEDs can't(1000 mA recommended max VS the 20 mA recommend of most 5mm LEDs)

:welcome:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many Peak lights that use a single CR123 battery can be used with a RCR123 3.7v battery. Some Peak lights are specifically designed for 3.7v, such as the Rainier, which is bright and has great throw, especially considering its size.

CBennett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys this is a big help! keep any ideas coming. I like the 3.7's they seem to hold a good charge and last a few weeks for me...I just dont want to kill any more flashlights :devil: . id like one i can run "stock" with the 3.7" without having to change anything. Oh love the links also VERY helpfull for someone like me that does not have a clue of a difference between a Surefire and a AAA penlight :)

Last edited:

CBennett

Newly Enlightened
Many Peak lights that use a single CR123 battery can be used with a RCR123 3.7v battery. Some Peak lights are specifically designed for 3.7v, such as the Rainier, which is bright and has great throw, especially considering its size.

got any links to this light..ive never heard of it being new.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of single led lights can use the 3.7 volts, but when you throw 2 together you have to be careful. Besides the high voltage, the rechargeable batteries are more prone to overheat if one if undercharged. It's a bit safer to use 2 123a batteries together, even though many members use 2 rcr batteries together. Just be aware of the possibility.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Ultrafire C2 can use 2 RCR123 batteries. They are pretty good but the Q5 version would be brighter. If you want a 2 RCR123 battery powered light and don't mind a 6.5 inch length, the VB-16 Q5 would be great.

CBennett

Newly Enlightened
Ok so now you got me wondering...should I go with a 2 cell or 1 cell RCR123 light? I have no idea about flashlights and thus knew nothing about it running hot if one cell was undercharged or whatever....I dont need the brightest out there its basically for at work and at home. Of course I want it to last and be a good light and sturdy..But I really dont need a "super light" just one that will work well and be reliable. I dont want a super small light but dont need it real big either..i like the one in the link that described it as being a bit bigger than the "mini" lights so its easier to hold onto...and the Mag lights(2 D cell) we have at work(that sometimes work IF they actually have good batteries in them) are way too big for what I need.

So 1 or 2 cell RCR 123 flashlight now is my question? I also do not really care if it has more than just 1 "power setting" its not a big deal to me...ive had both...sure its nice to have a high/low(or more) but its not a requirement. I guess size wise 4-5" seems about right that VB-16-Q5 would be about the top of the size id like to go.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
are there any LED flashlights that I can use my rechargeable 3.7V CR123's in? I have blown up 1 LED light and the other was either just bad or blew up also..I am pretty sure both were a case of the 3.7's being too powerful..is there a decent LED flashlight that I can use my 3.7V rechargeables in?

The 2 lights I had took 2 123's. thats about the size of light I want.... Or are these 3.7V ones just so powerful that they will fry everything I try them in...ive seen a bunch of decent deals but hesitate cause last thing I want to do is buy a light for $50 and then blow it up too.
There's plenty of LED lights you can run on 3.7V Li-Ions. The Tiablo A8 is by far the best performer on a single li-ion.

CBennett

Newly Enlightened
There's plenty of LED lights you can run on 3.7V Li-Ions. The Tiablo A8 is by far the best performer on a single li-ion.

Sorry guys I did not say this already, kinda thought I had in the OP but seems I did not Im looking in the $50 and under range and preferably in the $20-30 range as its gonna be a Christmas present :) .

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, in your size range, here are the lights on Dealextreme that will suit you(4-6 inch size, I'm sticking with reviewed lights and clickies)

1 RCR123:

Gree Cree(plastic window, one mode)
Mini 3W Cree(Glass window and high-low-off but a bit big IMO for a CR123 light)
Ultrafire EMR1(might be confusing to use)
Ultrafire FMR1(same as above except with a side switch)
Super-Bright Cree Q4(same as above except with a Cree Q4 and tail clickie)
3W Cree Flashlight(I don't know much about this one)
LumaPower D-mini(no warranty)

2 RCR123:
UltraFire C2 Cree Q5(one mode but good spill, dimmer but tougher outer coating HAIII version)
3W Cree Projection(a bit large but has lots of throw)
WF-400
TR-C2(not sure about brightness)
Romisen RC-F4(single mode)

Out of those, I would recommend the Gree Cree or the EMR1/FMR1 for 1 RCR123 or the WF-400 for 2 RCR123.

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
If you elect to go with 2-cells, please use protected batteries. Never use multiple unprotected batteries.

There are bunch of "crazy bright" single RCR123 lights starting as low as $15. With a Nano charger and couple of RCR123, you would have a setup under $22. Just pick up a light which has good reviews either here or at DX. You are not going to get a $75 Fenix worth of light for $15 but you would still have lot of fun with a claimed 142 lumen light.

DX and KD have lots of interesting options for somebody who wants to start playing with RCR123 light. As long as you keep your expectation of quality in line with the amount of money being spent, you would be more than happy with decent cheap lights.

If your definition of cheap runs all the way to $35, there are some really nice lights that you could get. I have at least 4 or 5 single cell lights under that price that I would love to get but I do understand the complete irrationality of it as I already have a $12 light which I am more than thrilled with.

- Vikas

CBennett

Newly Enlightened
Since I dont know if my cells are "protected" I think im gonna stick with one of the 1 cell ones so I dont run into any problems.

Landemoo

Newly Enlightened
Instead of using two RCR123a's an option might be to use one 17650 Li-Ion, if the flashlight will work equally well with the lower voltage. This would eliminate the problem with multiple batteries.