my first REAL flashlight, a P3D Q5 premium

IamOnFire

Newly Enlightened
Hey everybody this is my first post but I've been reading a lot of stuff and learning even more from this site! I am already hooked on flashlights, so thanks for that!
Well, I thought the Coast LED lenser v2 was my first real flashlight but found out I was happily mistaken when I popped the batteries in the fenix for the first time today. I was amazed to see the difference, especially against a mag 3d. This little thing puts out light like I can't believe. I can't wait to get all my batteries and charger to go with it. I also can't wait for it to get dark!!!
On a side note, I've been trying to figure out what to do for a space needle (probably unregulated) and can't find all the components I need. Anyone know where to get a hotlips and the rest of the stuff for an older 2C Maglite? If anyone knows anything up to date on making one please help!
I'll try to get some beamshots later!:twothumbs

Last edited:

Fooboy

Enlightened
Thats the exact flashlight I am thinking of getting (P3D Q5 Premium).

Well ... that or a Surefire L1. I can't make up my mind. I'm going to go play with some Surefires @ Bass Pro shops tonight but have yet to handle a fenix (new to lights). I am thinking fenix just cuase its 1/2 the price and 2x the lumens :D

Last edited:

IamOnFire

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info gunner! I am planning on using automotive hose and 3 RCR123's for power. Out of my ignorance, why choose the Seoul? I still have a lot to learn before I proceed, but I can't wait to get started on this!! I already have my Mag2C and Mag3D taken apart just waiting for parts and attention! Thank you again for your help!

(later added) I thought I read that they quit making the hotlips? and the sandwich shoppe is out of them. Is there another one available that will work?

Fooboy, you will be very happy if you get the Fenix. For the money and size this thing puts out some serious light!!
Surefire makes awesome, high quality stuff, but WOW is all I can say for the P3D Q5

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
3 RCR123s will fry the Luxeon V used in the Space Needle mod.

The Seoul has half the Vf of the Luxeon V used in the Space needle and twice the efficiency of the Luxeon V.

I was thinking of the other mod because you can still use normal batteries, regulated, and it's not that much more complex.

IamOnFire

Newly Enlightened
3 RCR123s will fry the Luxeon V used in the Space Needle mod.

OH, that is a good reason not to use the Lux V then!!

The Seoul has half the Vf of the Luxeon V used in the Space needle and twice the efficiency of the Luxeon V.

And another one.

I was thinking of the other mod because you can still use normal batteries, regulated, and it's not that much more complex.

OK. I'll take your advice and try that out. I do like the fact that it's regulated though. Do you know how many lumen that produces? Thanks!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The amount of lumens depend on the driver you use(and the amount of regulation also depends on the driver). Check White LED testing for approximate LED lumens(Seoul P4 charts). Also be sure to keep the Seoul P4's slug(the under side) from shorting to the heat sink.

This(Project Gemini) looks similar to what I'm trying to say, except with a different driver instead of the micropuck.