Which is which? Fenix P2D...

smg

Newly Enlightened
I thought I had found the light I wanted to buy, the Fenix P2D-CE, here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p2dce.htm. Now, I don't know which is which. Fenix's website lists 3 versions: P2D Premium 100, P2D, and P2D CE. I had always thought the regular P2D was the lower-output, original version, but their website says the regular version has a higher output than the CE version (140 lumens compared to 135 lumens). Here is the link: http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixp2d.htm
Which is really the better/brighter light?

On here, I keep reading about the Rebel 100 P2D, the Q2, and the Q5. What are the differences? Where do I read reviews/details/comparisons about them? ...and which one is comparable to the CE that I had originally thought I would get?

I found one on Amazon, and I happen to have a gift certificate with them. Here is the one they have:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PX7KKA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

So, which P2D is that???? ...the original CE, the Premium 100, the Q2, the Q5???? I'm confused. Any help? :)

gravityz

Enlightened
I thought I had found the light I wanted to buy, the Fenix P2D-CE, here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p2dce.htm. Now, I don't know which is which. Fenix's website lists 3 versions: P2D Premium 100, P2D, and P2D CE. I had always thought the regular P2D was the lower-output, original version, but their website says the regular version has a higher output than the CE version (140 lumens compared to 135 lumens). Here is the link: http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixp2d.htm
Which is really the better/brighter light?

On here, I keep reading about the Rebel 100 P2D, the Q2, and the Q5. What are the differences? Where do I read reviews/details/comparisons about them? ...and which one is comparable to the CE that I had originally thought I would get?

I found one on Amazon, and I happen to have a gift certificate with them. Here is the one they have:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PX7KKA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

So, which P2D is that???? ...the original CE, the Premium 100, the Q2, the Q5???? I'm confused. Any help? :)

i think you should check www.fenix-store.com

there are a lot of different P2D's even with diffrent color

what you should look for is what led is used

the ones with the XR-E led probably have a P4 or Q2 led
then you have one with a rebel80 led
one with a rebel100 led
one with a Q5 led

listed from less bright to bright are
P4(probably XR-E you do not know what you get)
Q2(probably XR-E you do not know what you get)
rebel80
rebel100
Q5

rebel100 and Q5 are about the same but i think the rebel is more yellow colored light and the Q5 is the brightest.

if you want the brightest light with the longest runtime go for the premium Q5 edition.

i am not an expert so i stated things wrong please correct

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Crees used in the Fenix lights are all in the XR-E series.

The P2D-CE uses the P4 Cree, the P2D-CE Q5 uses the brighter/more efficient Cree Q5 emitter and the P2D-Rebel 100 uses the slightly less bright but more efficient then the Q5 Luxeon rebel100 LED.

The Rebel 100 has a warmer tint and better color rendering but the Q5 is a bit brighter and whiter.

There is also a P2D-CE Q5 kit with the Fenix diffuser and the L2D body so you can use 1AA in the light.

I would go for the P2D-Rebel 100 if you like a warmer tint or the P2D-CE Q5 if you want a white tint(output is about the same).

There is a 8% off coupon for CPF users at Fenix Store, "CPF8"

:welcome:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
All flashlights in Fenix with the same name base, eg "P2D" or "P3D" have the same circuitry, but different versions have different LEDs.

"CE" means the light uses a CREE emitter. A Q followed by a number is a CREE bin - the higher, the better, 5 being currently the best.

Originally the "CE" versions, which use a CREE LED, were improvements on the original versions. However, they then improved the originals to all use Luxeon Rebel LEDs, which are brighter than Q2 CREEs.

"Premium 100" means that the light uses the high-binned Rebel, Rebel 100. "Premium Q5" is the brighest, and uses the highest binned CREE, the Q5. Sometimes you see "Premium Q2," which is brighter than normal CREE "CE" editions, but not as good as a Rebel.

Hope I helped :grin2:

Last edited:

smg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!!! You all have helped clear that up for me :)

I'm really thinking about getting that P2D-CE Q5 kit. The question now is, which tint is better for me. That's really a subject thing, I guess.

I have heard some complaints of tint variations with some of the P2D options (I think it was with the Q5). Are the LEDs generally consistent in their build, or is there a quality issue I need to worry about?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Crees and rebels are generally pretty consistent. If you don't like the tint, send it back to Fenix Store for a replacement. Fenix Store has been known for great customer service.

Which tint?

Well, if you are used to incans, the Rebel 100 would probably be better for you.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Gunner12

The rebels are unusually warm for LEDs, while the CREEs are cooler.

Rebels are known to have very good color rendition... but, if this isn't a big factor, CREEs are slightly brighter...

Confederate

Enlightened
Remember, brightness isn't everything. Like anything else, there is a point of diminishing marginal return. A light's runtime also should be considered in the mix. The great thing is that the brightness and the runtime are improving, but not in all models.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, brightness isn't everything. Like anything else, there is a point of diminishing marginal return. A light's runtime also should be considered in the mix. The great thing is that the brightness and the runtime are improving, but not in all models.

Couldn't agree more, but from what I've seen different versions of Fenix models (eg P3D Rebel 100 vs P3D Q5) have the same runtimes because of the driver, which is the same, and different outputs, because the LED changes...

are the versions more different than Fenix says on the website, or were you just thinking of different flashlights?

Enlightened
Runtimes should be pretty much consistent across the different drivers. I.e. The Q5 and Rebel and CE versions should all give identical runtimes. So it really comes down to brightness and tint. The Rebel, as stated, gives a slightly warmer tint and better color rendering. It also seems much better for finding your way because it doesn't give that flat look as much as most LEDs do. The Q5 will give you a little more output. The Rebel offers 11, 50, 100, or 175 lumens output vs 12, 55, 107, and 180 lumens for the Q5. That difference is pretty minor and is probably going to be nearly impossible to detect with the naked eye, tint differences aside. So it really comes down to tint. Do you prefer a warmer tint like the Rebel (my choice) or a slightly cooler tint of the Q5?

gravityz

Enlightened
Thanks!!! You all have helped clear that up for me :)

I'm really thinking about getting that P2D-CE Q5 kit. The question now is, which tint is better for me. That's really a subject thing, I guess.

I have heard some complaints of tint variations with some of the P2D options (I think it was with the Q5). Are the LEDs generally consistent in their build, or is there a quality issue I need to worry about?

i only have the Q5 which is very bright.
so the only choice you will have to make is:

do you like the color of those Xenon headlights new cars like audi/BMW are using? if you do go for the Q5 because color is about the same(this type of light lights up road signs better but changes real colors like green)
When driving a car it is most important that everything is noticed in time instead of what color it is.

When it comes to the rebel100
most people describe this light as more warm like a big halogen maglight but then a 1000x brighter.
it still leaves you with normal color rendering at night if you like that.

rebel100 and Q5 are probably as bright but it is the way your brain perceives it.

i drive an audi with Xenon headlights so for me it was easy, i just got myself a portable headlight(that is the Q5 version)

good luck with your decission.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be nice when the various head only options are available, if at all.

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
P2D head can be attached to L1D/L2D body so you have the option to use 1 or 2 AA batteries as well. And vice versa, L2D head (but not L1D, as far as i know - please correct me if a'm wrong) also can be attached to L1D or P2D body to use 1 AA or CR123 batteries.

Last edited:

gravityz

Enlightened
P2D head can be attached to L1D/L2D body so you have the option to use 1 or 2 AA batteries as well. And vice versa, L2D head (but not L1D, as far as i know - please correct me if a'm wrong) also can be attached to L1D or P2D body to use 1 AA or CR123 batteries.

i think the L1D head is the same as L2D and P2D head.

this heads tranforms voltage up if there is not enough voltage(as with the 1AA)

i have the L2DCE with 1 AA body and this works great(do not have turbo output on 1x AA offcourse)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for either the rebel100 or the Q5. The Q5 is slightly brighter. The rebel100 may have a little better beam quality. The actual brightness and quality varies from light to light. Two Q5s, two slightly different lights. There's a little bit of a lottery system involved. Maybe buy three, keep the best, and give the other two away for xmas.

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
i think the L1D head is the same as L2D and P2D head.

this heads tranforms voltage up if there is not enough voltage(as with the 1AA)

i have the L2DCE with 1 AA body and this works great(do not have turbo output on 1x AA offcourse)

But why the real L1D still have turbo (although dimmer), while the L2D head attached to L1D body don't have it at all? Is that due to different tail caps between two of them?

gravityz

Enlightened
But why the real L1D still have turbo (although dimmer), while the L2D head attached to L1D body don't have it at all? Is that due to different tail caps between two of them?

it probably still has turbomode but you will not hardly notice any more brightness because you are used to the 100 to 180 lumen difference

with the L1DCE and 1AA it only switches from 80 to 90 lumens and that is just not enough to notice

it might be that with the P4 or Q2 the difference is a bit bigger but with the Q5 head i have you can hardly see it because it probably is allready giving 90 lumens on high(because the Q5 is brighter than the P4)
accoording to the specs the Q5 outputs 107 lumens on high

UPDATE:
i did some testing with the L2DCE head on the L1DCE body
YES: TURBO GIVES YOU STILL A LOT MORE LIGHT THEN HIGH.
The problem was like si said i was expecting a major jump(100 to 180)

so there you have it
either way you hook up the head with different bodies you always get al the modes, with 2AA you get the smae runtime as one aa but a hell of a lot more light on turbo.

Last edited:

Enlightened