My U85 helps me save a life.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm driving home the other day on the freeway when I exited at the offramp. It was about 4am in the morning. I notice some palettes laying in the middle of the road. Veering out of the way, I continue down the offramp when suddenly I notice a motorcycle laying in the middle of the road. I knew soomeone wiped out on those palettes so I pulled over.

I walked down the offramp and passed the motorcycle only to find a guy laying in the middle of the road moaning. Someone had arrived on the scene moments before I did and was looking over him while on the phone (probably with 911). I took no chances and dialed 911, also. While giving directions to the accident, I realized that this guy was in danger of getting ran over so I pulled my HDS EDC U85 from my belt and started waving cars away from the palettes and the guy. Most of them steered clear of the accident...MOST of them.

Someone didn't see my flashlight and plowed right into the palettes and continued toward me (I was about 70ft in front of the downed man)

I frantically waved my light at the driver while pausing my conversation with the 911 operator. I quickly took position to jump either left or right as soon as this guy sees me and swerves. Finally he sees me and his brakes lock up. He didnt choose left or right. He came right at me tires screaming and all. I jumped up high, tucking my legs in and spun so my back faced the windshield. I clutched my flashlight and phone and waited for the inevitable. I smashed against the windshield shattering it. The car was still screeching to a halt as I came back down the hood of the car. I rolled off the side to keep from going over the front of the hood. I popped up like a jack-in-the-box still clutching my U85 (my phone was laying next to the car as he came to a halt just feet away from the motorcycle guy.)

Aside from a few scratches, I was fine and the guy didnt get ran over. Police and ambulance arrived quickly.

Perhaps I should have used a brighter flashlight but I didnt know I was going to be directing traffic. My HDS EDC U85 still worked great in stopping traffic. But if they aren't paying attention...what can you do?

Jeff

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well at least you have your priorities right ditch the phone and save the hds!

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Awesome story! Just think what would have happened to the motorcycle guy and the first person who was helping them if you hadn't warned the on-coming traffic. And you can add stuntman to your resume. Glad no one got hurt after the initial wipeout.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for you for coming to the aid of the downed biker.

It's heresy I know but I do not grab a light in such situations. I keep at least 2 flares handy and unless there's the danger of spilled fuel, I trust them more than any flashlight for getting someone's attention. Gotta admit though, I don't even trust a driver to see those. Good thinking on being ready to rock & roll -- definitely saved your butt and the biker's also.

Glad you're alright.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I will admit that this would have been the ONE time a strobe feature would have been useful on a light... ^_^

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get to say anything to the guy who popped you??

I've gotten hit three times like that before. The best one was when I spun up into his moonroof :wow:

We had some words :p

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the idiot who hit you got a handful of tickets and paid for you to go to the hospital for a checkup.

I don't see how that guy would get a ticket consider this happened at night, in middle of the road where cars should be, not pallets.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't see how that guy would get a ticket consider this happened at night, in middle of the road where cars should be, not pallets.

Wow.... I've noticed you tend to disagree with whatever the majority opinion happens to be on a particular topic. But okay....:thinking:

While you are 100% correct that cars are supposed to be in the middle of the road, drivers are also supposed to keep their attention on the road, what's going on around them, occasionally glance in the rearview mirror, and be checking up the road ahead, etc.

That's how I was taught to drive. One of the benefits of ABS brakes is that it takes natural, human reaction into consideration. Slamming on the brakes is fine, since the car pumps the brakes for you. On economy cars or older models, you're supposed to pump the brakes yourself in such a situation.... not slam your foot through the floor board and hope the car stops in time. Another thing I was taught is to hit the emergency brake if it looks as though you can't stop in time.

But like anyone who took even a basic driver's Ed. class, I know that if there is room; it's far better to steer the car off to the shoulder or the side.

Yes, the driver who hit our fellow CPFer was indeed an idiot. He wasn't paying attention to what was in front of him. By the time he was done daydreaming, he slammed on the brakes of his non-ABS equipped car. (If he had ABS, the brakes would not have locked-up). He didn't use the E-brake as his wheels locked-up.... The main thing being, he clearly wasn't paying attention to the road.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
He didn't use the E-brake as his wheels locked-up.... The main thing being, he clearly wasn't paying attention to the road.

Why would you use the e-brake if your wheels are locked up? To lock them up even more? :) The e-brake can help put you into a slide around a turn, but I don't think this driver would have had the skill to do that, and it sounds like he was coming straight down the road so using the e-brake would be pointless. He was probably day dreaming, or fiddling with something (cell phone, radio, etc). Glad we didn't lose a fellow CPF'er. How many lumens is that U85?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why would you use the e-brake if your wheels are locked up? To lock them up even more? :) The e-brake can help put you into a slide around a turn, but I don't think this driver would have had the skill to do that....

It's not that hard to do.... Or is it? :thinking:

I don't know, it's an easy thing for me to do. Guess I didn't realize it would be difficult for others.

Also, while I read the first post in this thread, I guess I had the image of a curved off-ramp in my head.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Whew! Great story. Very nice of you to help out and stand out in the road risking life and limb for the downed motorcyclist. I'm glad you are all right- and also that the U85 is all right! :drool:

Calina

Enlightened
That's how I was taught to drive. One of the benefits of ABS brakes is that it takes natural, human reaction into consideration. Slamming on the brakes is fine, since the car pumps the brakes for you. On economy cars or older models, you're supposed to pump the brakes yourself in such a situation.... not slam your foot through the floor board and hope the car stops in time. Another thing I was taught is to hit the emergency brake if it looks as though you can't stop in time.

But like anyone who took even a basic driver's Ed. class, I know that if there is room; it's far better to steer the car off to the shoulder or the side.

The braking distance will be shorter if you don't pump the brake. It is OK to hit the brakes hard (hard pressed actually) to the point of almost locking the wheels but not quite.

Here's a good reference: http://www.wikihow.com/Brake-and-Stop-a-Car-in-the-Shortest-Distance

Good story by the way and a great stunt. That's how the professionals do it.

Last edited: