Streamlight 5 watt luxeon?

bwcaw

Enlightened
TL-3™ LED
Battery Three 3 volt lithium (with a shelf life of nearly ten years)
Bulb
Luxeon™, 5 watt, super high-flux, 10,000-hour LED
Material 6000 Series machined aircraft aluminum with anodized finish; High-temperature glass lens
Color Black
Olive drab green
Weight
(with batteries) 198 grams
Dimensions .9" (D) x 6.25" (L)
Head (D): 1.6"
Run Time 4 hours of high brightness
50 hours of declining brightness
Power 85 lumens
Special Features Includes removeable spring steel pocket clip and adjustable wrist lanyard; Adjustable spot-to-flood focus; Tail cap momentary push button – rotate for lock "on"; O-ring sealed

It sure looks like streamlight is going to beat SF to the punch making the first 5 watt luxeon production light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I got these specs off of sl's tactical lights page. here: link

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This looks like a great light. I own several ST's; all great, bright, reliable, have great warranty, and I live near a warranty station that sells at wholesale. St's have great rechargeable batteries, and I look forward to an LED in that format, posssible super stinger size, which has a six volt battery. This is my first post. Currently my EDC LED is a E2 with LS head.

Safari

Newly Enlightened
Wow what a light! I would think this post would be three pages long! 85 lums and 4hrs at max bright , this is the future now. When is it available??????

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL-2™ LED and the TL-3™ LED are specked out with the same power supplies. Kinda doubt run time would be the same. Looks like maybe the documentors did a copy/paste.

Still, Streamlight seems to have some pretty sharp lights on the horizon.

Thanks for the info, bwcaw.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every light on there is impressive.

If they are cheaper than SureFire, it will be a instant winner!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
See Pictures and more info here:
http://www.streamlight.com/tl-nf_info.htm
tl-nf_info_08.jpg

tl-nf_info_08.jpg

tl-nf_info_03.jpg

tl-nf_info_02.jpg

tl-nf_info_01.jpg

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
Every light on there is impressive.

If they are cheaper than SureFire, it will be a instant winner!

[/ QUOTE ]

This should cost cheaper than SF as it's not regulated. The main factor to win will be based on who could get better LS from the supplier. For the moment, SF seems have good track record on consistent quality of its 1W LS. I hope SL could get even better due to its larger volume.

Alan

CiTY

Enlightened
Just noticed that they are rating their 5Ws at 10,000hr? Is this the next gen from Luxeon? Even the 1Ws are 10,000hr? Any indications of ship date?

hugodrax

Newly Enlightened
so a centurion C3 with a 5watt head (When will it appear?) should provide about 4hours 85 lumens also correct?

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
CiTY said:
Just noticed that they are rating their 5Ws at 10,000hr? Is this the next gen from Luxeon? Even the 1Ws are 10,000hr?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I noticed that too... What's the deal there? AFAIK, the current 5W LS's are only rated at 1,000 hours. I would sure like to know how they're going to get 10x the life out of them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

soloco

Enlightened
they are probably underdriving the luxeon and just ball-parking the lifetime estimate. who's really going to measure 10,000 hr anyway?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CiTY said:
It's too bad they are not regulated. Could get more than the rated 4hr run time(max brightness) if it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that? The 3 batteries produce 9V. Light would begin to dim at 8V. A buck boost could be used, but they are less efficient. At best the regulator would be 90% for a buck, but usually it's even less, and that is when the batteries are fresh. When the batteries are somewhat used, the efficiency drops even more. So a lot of energy is wasted on regulating.

Wayne j

CiTY

Enlightened
The only way to know for sure is to get the products and test w/ different test procedures lab style. Different batteries have certain discharge characteristics for different applications. The extra components for modifying the power utilization curve is not a freebie on efficiency. It would be nice to know you have the same output lumens as long as possible. The "value add" in this may come down to the tail switch, and reflector, speaking from a technical marketing standpoint.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be a very interesting time, when these things actually reach the hands of our illustrious reviewers!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
an 85 lumen led light with a good run time, oh my, when will all the temptations to purchase end, and i'm really new at all this.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ElektroLumens said:
Are you sure about that? The 3 batteries produce 9V. Light would begin to dim at 8V. A buck boost could be used, but they are less efficient. At best the regulator would be 90% for a buck, but usually it's even less, and that is when the batteries are fresh. When the batteries are somewhat used, the efficiency drops even more. So a lot of energy is wasted on regulating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I calculate roughly 0.4-0.6 Watt consumed by a resistor (another 0.3-0.4 W by the batteries' internal resistance) at loads of 0.5A. This translates to 84-87% efficiency. So we should see about the same runtime at rated output. I do prefer regulation because the output curve is nicer but runtime is typically not improved.

Cheers.