Best DX LED for now + best to modify later?

ag3c

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks...

Holidays are coming up & as the self-designated family flashaholic, it's time for me to think about how best to share the latest LED love ... in the form of presents.

I'm planning on ordering some LED lights from DX, but I want to make sure that I get something that will not only light up the night this year, but which will be easy to upgrade next year, when the R-bins (or whatever comes after that!) are commonplace.

What are the best DX lights for modding?

I know some have better heat sinking than others, presumably some have more room inside than others (for the larger driver or emitter boards?), etc. What's the best combination of output today + easy modding platform?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

A

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you mean by easy upgrade is, removable star/emitter and removable driver or at lease reachable then the Eastward U2 Clone(1285), Eastward YJ(4424), K2U, WF-400, WF-800 is a good one.

SKU 1285 is a nice one since it is driving P4 LED at 1.2A already even my high forward voltage Cree Q5 is bright with this one imagine R bin :thumbsup: Tried Q5 in WF-400 ended up being dimmer than Q2.
All those light has removable head "crown" and also removable pill so upgrading should be easy once the pill is outside.

I found ultrafire C2 is also upgradeable especially the driver but since it is using a non-standart emitter base you will have more work to do than just simple swapping so alot of filing is expected if you are going to fit a new emitter with standard star.

WF-400 is using a larger diameter driver(larger than 17mm) so only the star can easily be swaped. I have not found a larger than 17mm at DX so upgrading WF-400 driver is not stright forward.

my recommendation is SKU 1285.

thanks

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

The Elly is a good modding platform but quality is iffy.

The MTE Seoul might be a good platform. The pill isn't too hard to screw out and it comes with a good LED.

The MXDL RC-G2(grey version) also seems to be a good platform but you have to be careful not to screw the head down too tight. It does not come with a good LED(Cree XR-E P2).

The KD Cree Q2 might also be a good platform with a multimode driver.

You'd probably be better off sticking to AA lights for presents because if it uses special batteries or expensive to buy in store batteries, chances are they won't use the light.

Latest posts