P3D RB100 Premium... or the P3D Q5 Premium??

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
ok guys... i've been doing some MAD research on these lights... looked at numerous shots of these lights and still can't come up with a definitive answer of which is better. i would prefer a more incandescent looking light... since i'm used to my Streamlight TL3... most reviews have said the P3D Rebel100 Premium is a bit warmer and seems to be the bridge to the gap between leds and incandescent lights. is there any truth to this? is the difference in lumens that much different? 215 to the Q5 and 200 to the Rebel100 Premium... doesn't seem like a deal breaker, and i honestly don't care. i am just looking for the most natural color light i can get for the money. i could buy both, but that wouldn't be practical right now. also, is there any functional difference between the Q5 and Rebel? that's just a picky point right there. but, i just want to make sure either one of these lights will suit me properly when i'm working outside at night... (i'm a paramedic and this light will be a staple) also, i like to fish and will be using this light at night for that and camping and other things... just want to make sure i'll be getting the most efficient and effective light i can. also, i *need* the most true-to-life color light i can get. i should be making a purchase within the next 9 hours.... that would put me right at lunch today... and i'm hungry for a really nice light. also, if the color of the actual light isn't noticeable, i'd prolly be logical and just go ahead and get the Q5. anyway, just lemme know what's going on. thanks a ton yall!!! preciate the mess out of this!

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
You won't be able to actually SEE the difference in brightness from 200 to 215 lumens.
I bought the Q5, but if you specifically want a warmer color, then you need to go with the Rebel. If you somehow believed you could see a brightness difference between those two lumen values, it would be coming from the perception of colors rather than actual brightness.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
I am an ER doc, i know what you mean by wanting natural color rendition when looking at human tissue, let's say the oral or nasal cavity. For most uses on physical exam the Q5 on medium or high setting should be sufficient. Turbo would simply be too bright for such a small area, and would most likely be used for searching or signaling rather than examining a patient. On medium, the color of mucosa or tissue should not be too off. As a work staple in a health-related profession, I don't think you can go wrong with a Q5.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Zenster

Enlightened
I am an ER doc, i know what you mean by wanting natural color rendition when looking at human tissue, let's say the oral or nasal cavity. On medium, the color of mucosa or tissue should not be too off. As a work staple in a health-related profession, I don't think you can go wrong with a Q5.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

Oh man, that's just... Ewwwww. :faint:

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
wishywashy7, thx a ton for that. was wondering how these lights would fare. also, does anyone have any idea how these lights differ outside at night? i mean, is there any real difference in the color perception of either one? i couldn't tell 'that' much of a difference, if at all really, from the pics i've seen. i just *prefer* natural looking light, and if wishywashy7 says skin looks normal on med and high, then i can't see why surroundings wouldn't look normal on med and high. just a thought... this is why i wish i had access to the lights before i buy them, but i'm not afforded that luxury. anyway, i guess i could just take the plunge and hope for the best... just about maxed out the studying on these two lights.... thx again guys! anything further would be greatly appreciated!

DanielG

Enlightened
I may have to pick up a Q5 now, just to see if there's any colour difference. Darn, give me a reason to get a new light :)

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
well, the list is WAY to long for me to go through to name here but i JUST placed the order for my Q5. the guys at Fenix Store are ridiculously helpful and VERY cordial to talk to on the phone. also seem VERY knowledgeable so i felt very confident with my choice. also, wishywashy7 told me what i needed to know about the lighting for my patients and stuff. hopefully i'll be enjoying my light by sunday... paid for overnight... which is always stupid but i have this can't wait problem... anyway, i'll get my tests up asap with pictures compared to my other lights. should definitely enjoy this one!! thx for all the help guys!!

ichoderso

Enlightened
Hi, I have a Fenix P1D Q5 and a L2D R100 (from Fenix Store)
If I have more time I write a Review for this and other flashlights I have and get.
I like more the Rebell, is warmer light and more realistic and both have the same output (without measure) I cant say, that the Q5 have more lumens than the rebell.... but the Q5 was more hot than the other after 10 minutes in basic mode 44°C and the Rebell only 30C Roomtemperature are 20C.
Sorry for my bad english....
greetings from germany,
Jens

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
/\ :welcome: /\

medicmerlynn: I think you would light your new light. Have you gotten rechargeable batteries for your light yet?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have purchased 10 Fenii over the past month (mostly for Xmas presents) and I have purchased either R100 or Q5 versions in all of them. ON AVERAGE you get a warmer yellow tint light with the R100 and a colder bluish tint with the Q5. Having purchased 10 Fenii, you can bet I sorted thru them and picked my favorites. I chose two:

An L2D R100 (lovely rose colored tint)
A P3D Q5 (slightly blue tint)

I love them both.

I will say that the LED lottery is such that if you purchase a single light, you may or may not get a tint you like, no matter which you choose. One of my lights was so green that I resold it at a loss, just to be rid of it.

If you are really tint-specific, you'll need to purchase at least 3 and then sell 2.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
Gunner12, yessirree... picked up the rechargeables and the recharger along with the light. figured i might as well so i won't keep dropping cash on cr123s. used the batts up the first time two days ago. recharged them in just over 90 minutes and we're good as new. i highly recommend the aw123s and the charger to anyone who has the p3d.

Zenster

Enlightened
Having purchased 10 Fenii, you can bet I sorted thru them and picked my favorites. I chose two:

An L2D R100 (lovely rose colored tint)
A P3D Q5 (slightly blue tint)

I love them both.

I will say that the LED lottery is such that if you purchase a single light, you may or may not get a tint you like, no matter which you choose. One of my lights was so green that I resold it at a loss, just to be rid of it.

If you are really tint-specific, you'll need to purchase at least 3 and then sell 2.

That's interesting because I now have several Q5 based lights, and not only am I not seeing a "blue" tint, I have gotten to prefer them over the others.
To me, the Q5's are quite white. The "warm" you see in the R100, to me, looks like IT'S the "off" color. Outside at night, the Q5 seems to light things up better for me.

I'm not doubting your own perceptions, it's just interesting that perhaps there isn't just one "best" look because different people see things differently.