The best workboots?!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I tried Caterpiller, timberland, camel and lastly Redwing...what other brands out there that can offer loads of safety, comfortable to be worn for long hours, splash proof, steel toe and have excellent grip in oily, wet environment.

Its also about time that I retire my 5 year old redwings.

Cheers your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DieselTech

Enlightened
I've had my same pair of Red Wings for a bit over a year, I think. Great boots, and I plan to buy another pair when I wear these out.

iced_theater

Enlightened
I've tried probably three or four Red Wings and a couple other brands. My favorite pair I've had is 2408, as shown here http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1196

The absolute worst ones are the Extensity soled ones. They are extremely slick on wet metal and crack very quickly.

I was just looking at Red Wing's website and noticed they only have one or two boots with the Extensity soles now, so they must of realized the quality of them as well.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emm, it seems that Red Wing is THE brand at the moment to go for.......

and thanks for the advice on sole types ice_theater.

nexro

Enlightened
Like everyone else mentioned, RedWings are the way to go.
I haven't own a pair yet... still using my company issue but will hopefully get a new one soon :)

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few kinds, amongst the better ones are LACROSSE, they came from cabelas

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laced up Red Wings for 12-13 years but I no longer find the quality what it
used to be. Today's RW's lack consistency and use crap leather.

Then went through 4-5 pairs of Cats. Decent upper but the sole wears to quick.

Now the past 3 months have been using Herman Survivors. These so far have
exceeded the Red Wings and Cats.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lehigh makes some good work boots too. Redwings are good but overpriced IMO.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago I stopped shopping for workboots -- I just go to Redwing and pay the price. I did buy a pair of Wolverine a couple of years a go that were very good boots.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Another vote for the Redwing 2408s. I've also got insulated Danners for cooler weather. As far as pricing goes...how important are your feet? Dollar cost average a good pair of boots in relation to how long you'll own them & it's worth paying for the higher quality.

...and what BIGIRON said - I had a couple pair of Wolverines that were worthy as well, but went back to my Redwings (and ALWAYS have a pair of those insulated Danners as well!).

Bigmark408

Newly Enlightened
Redwing has gone down hill many years ago (IMO) the best quality boot i have found are Wesco.:twothumbs

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree your feet are important but when you make $10-11 an hour and your company mandates safety shoes but doesn't help pay for them $150-200 for shoes is quite steep.

iced_theater

Enlightened
Yes it is quite steep, I make more than that but still think they are expensive. At least my company will pay half for the boots, I get an order form once a year for boots. Red Wings, Lehigh, Wolverine and I think maybe one or two other brands as well.